Chapter 13

Wednesday, July 18, 1973.

Imperial College

Roger's POV

Brian and I are in the Imperial College auditorium, waiting for Deacy and Freddie to come and rehearse. From August, we will record the second album of the band and we are already writing some lyrics of songs that will be used in the album.

Brian is still studying his PH D in Astrophysics, but he does not know yet when he will finish, because the teachers always tell him to make many changes in the cosmic dust dissertation. He also teaches Mathematics and Physics, but he does not know how long he will be in it.

It's six o'clock. Soon Freddie will be coming with Deacy. Meanwhile I'm sitting on the floor of the auditorium and once again read the article that Mandy wrote to the NME about the release of Queen's first album, the party, really Mandy has the talent to be a great journalist. She demonstrates this in her review of Queen and I have read other reviews she has written from other bands, such as Pink Floyd and The Dark Side of the Moon. It was excellent. Of course I will never admit the redhead, after all, I do not like her and she does not like me and it has to be that way. Or not?

I close my eyes for a moment and see the image of Mandy, with her dark brown eyes and red hair, looking at me and her sexy body, Brazilian woman. I even smile with that image that is in my mind. Until I feel someone sitting next to me.

- Rog, planet earth calling. Rog? Brian asked smiling.

I open my eyes and see my friend sitting next to me.

"Are you daydreaming, Rog?" I was even smiling, "he said, smiling.

"Nothing important," he said, changing the subject, for he would never tell him that he was thinking of Mandy.

"Whatever." He smiled. "I was reading for the thirtieth time in less than twenty-four hours what Mandy said about the band in the magazine?" Her review was perfect.

- I confess that yes, it was perfect, she spoke well of the band, spoke well even of me, and for a moment I thought she would speak ill of me - said scowling.

"Mandy's a pro, Rog. You do not get along, but she does not take it personally. She really praised you, saying the great drummer who is and who sings very well - Smiled Bri - praised us all.

"I never thought she would compliment me after the humiliation I put her through when she met the band." She said, remembering everything that happened when I met Mandy when I first saw her.

"Rog, I still do not understand why you acted like that with Mandy." I know that same day Jill had ended her relationship with you, because you yourself told Freddie, Deacy and me later, but, I think it goes way beyond that. What really bothers you about Mandy? Dude, she's so beautiful, sweet, an angel in the form of a woman. Brian said, his eyes shining.

Is my friend in love with her?

"Are you in love with the redhead?" I asked, arching my eyebrows.

Brian cleared his throat a little and I smiled wryly.

"Do not tell me you're in love with her?" I asked again.

"Of course not," Brian said in disguise. "What I want to say is that Mandy's a sweet girl, very cute, treats us very well and I do not know what's wrong with her, really. You should know Mandy better and see the qualities she has. It does not matter that she is a journalism student. It's not all journalists who are idiots, Rog.

"I know, but most of them are," I said thoughtfully and decided to light a cigarette.

- What is your problem with journalists? And do not tell me it was because some of them have already spoken ill of us. There will always be someone who will speak badly. I just want to understand why your total disgust with the journalists. Brian asked.

I puff on the cigarette, thoughtfully. Should I trust Bri? He has already proved that he is my best friend. It's like my big brother. Then I looked at him and said,

"What I say here, please, just stay between us."

"Of course Rog, you can count on me, trust me," Bri said.

I start to tell Bri a few things about why I'm angry at the journalists and Brian holds his hand to his mouth.

"I can not believe my friend," said Brian, stupefied.

"That's right," I said, finishing my cigarette.

"Still, Mandy is not to blame for all this, Rog. If I were you, I'd give the redhead and yourself a chance to get along and be friends. - Brian said.

I was thoughtful and picked up the magazine again and read Mandy's story. Is Bri right, and should I approach the redhead? At that moment Freddie and Deacy arrived and we began rehearsing.

To be continued.