Chapter 22 - December 1973

Roger's POV

Monday, December 03, 1973

The boys and I had to come back from tour a week earlier, to record a new show on the BBC. During the short tour we held shows in Liverpool, Manchester, Cambridge, Leicester, Cornwall, Birmingham and Newcastle and in ten days we performed in London. And tonight we're here at the BBC Langhman studios. We recorded Ogre Battle, Great King Rat, Son and Daughter and my Modern Times Rock'n'Roll song. Our friends were present. Mandy was there, too, and was writing in her book about recording the band on the BBC for her to appear in NME magazine. Mandy only has a few more days of college and will soon be formed.

"Congratulations on the great work, boys and you too, sour blond." She said smiling at me, but this time without being sarcastic.

I smiled at her and said,

"Thank you for the compliment, demonic redhead."

Mandy and I did not want to use those nicknames we used for so long, but we had not yet chosen a more decent nickname, so we still teased each other, but this time there was no hatred in our hearts, it was a question of even provocation.

The days went by and on the fourteenth of December I went on holiday from the Master's in Molecular Biology. The last classes were in laboratories, in the part of Genetics and the classes now return in the second semester of February. On the same date, Mandy finished the College of Journalism and Cintia the College of Photography. Mandy also finished her Spanish course, but next year, the redhead will continue her studies in Masters, will do Musical Journalism and will study French and Cíntia will take Masters in Multimedia Photography.

During that December, too, Cynthia and Mick worked together and in the studio took pictures of the band, to the dark side of the album where the boys and I wore dark clothes and the wall was all dark too. There will still be the white side that will be held in January and then the cover photo. At the end of January, we will embark for a music festival in Melbourne, Australia.

Mandy bought her airline tickets to Brazil. She travels to São Paulo on December 18 and only returns to London on the first of February. I confess that I will miss the redhead, because there will be no one I can provoke.

On the fifteenth and sixteenth of December, Saturday and Sunday, Queen performed with Mott the Hoople at a London concert hall for 3,000 people. During the two days, the house filled up and we were happy. My sister and our friends were present at the band's performance and the girls who are already taking care of the band's fan club, under the direction of my sister Clare and my friends Sue and Pat Johnson from Truro, held posters with my photos from Band, from Freddie, Brian and John. And Mandy, who was joining my girls holding a sign that read:

Roger Taylor, my Drummer Boy.

"What's this story that I'm your Drummer Boy?" I asked smiling at her while everyone was in the dressing room looking at us.

"Now I've found a nickname about you, Rog," she said, smiling.

"I need to get a nickname for you, redhead." I smile.

"You'll soon find it, Drummer Boy." She smiled at me.

I did not resist and I hugged Mandy and kissed her cheek and said in her ear,

- I loved Drummer Boy's nickname - And I smile at her.

Amanda's POV

Monday, seventeenth of December.

I had dinner with my father in his mansion. He had bought a Christmas present for me early, since I travel tomorrow to Sao Paulo. During dinner and conversation with him, he said that as of February will be one of jorn NME officials alistas and he gave recommendations for next year I take care of Olivia, because the woman is not reliable.

I know very well how much she is a witch.

I said goodbye to my father, who will spend Christmas with his family in London and New Year's Eve will go to Venice with Lilian and Emily, and I confess that I was annoyed because Emily, who is not really his daughter, always takes pictures of him. I believe that soon I will have to open the game for everyone and tell the truth.

Tuesday, December eighteenth.

Eight in the evening. I'm at the airport with Roger. He gave me a ride, and he already gave me my Christmas present, just as I gave him his, and we marked just opening our presents on the twenty-fifth of December and calling the other thanking him. Roger will spend the holidays at Truro.

"Thank you for everything, Rog. I look forward to seeing what's inside the package. I just hope it's a wonderful gift and no flying rogues, "he said, laughing.

"I say the same, I hope my gift is not damn spiders," he said and we laughed.

I never thought it would happen one day Rog and I were talking civilly, politely, without discussion.

- Merry Christmas, Rog. Thanks for the ride. When I come back, you will be in Melbourne in Australia. Great presentation on Australian soil - Said.

"I'll miss you a lot," Rog said, unwittingly. "But he enjoys Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro a lot and takes lots of pictures.

"I'm going to take a lot of them and bring them to London to show my friends." "Smile, and then my flight is announced and I'm going to the embarkation area.

Rog hugged me very hard and kissed my face and then the corner of my lips and exchanged deep glances.

"You take care of beautiful redhead," he said to me, smiling. "My beautiful redhead.

I liked the simple nickname and smiled.

Merry Christmas and see you soon. Happy holidays, "I told him as he sailed.

- Merry Christmas, Mandy, enjoy the holidays. Happy Holidays - Said to me - On the way back, I will fill your patience a little.

He grinned at me and winked at me.

- I know it will - I smile at him and I embark.

Roger's POV

Nine o'clock, Mandy's plane to Sao Paulo took off. I feel alone, I feel a great emptiness in my chest. Who am I kidding, kidding? Mandy is only back in February. I sigh and for the first time I admit that the redhead is special to me. It was special all this time, even hating us. She was always special and I just did not notice, but now I know that. My heart said. I go into the airport parking lot and enter the Mini Cooper and I smell the woody scent, delicious Mandy was wearing. I feel a little more the perfume smell of the redhead that was in my car. I close my eyes and imagine Mandy in front of me smiling.

And I smile back at her. I open my eyes and see that she is not here. I will have to bear the redhead for more than a month.

To be continued.