Chapter 30 - June 1974 - The mysterious man / Mid - Autumn

Amanda's POV

Tuesday, June 4, 1974

After a day at work in NME magazine, I go to French class and leave the course around nine at night. I walk a little, toward the subway, to leave. I feel that someone is following me as I walk towards the subway. When I get to the subway station, I see the man watching me. He's hooded. The funny thing is that we are almost in the summer and the night is pleasant, not cold. But the man was wearing a sweater and hood, and only his eyes were green. These green eyes are no stranger to me. I get on the subway and sit down and the man gets into the same car as me, but he sits a little behind. I start to get scared. There is no doubt that he is following me. What does he want with me?Twenty minutes later, I get off at my destination and I head for a pay phone. I have to call someone to get me in the subway station, then, the man continues to follow me. I enter the red booth and close the door. I'll call John fast. If Bri was not in the hospital, I'd call him to pick me up. Cintia has no car, no girls have. I put a coin to make the call and dial the phone number of John's apartment. Touch five times. For God's sake, someone's home. He answers.

- May I help? He said into the phone.

"John, this is Mandy," she said, startled.

- Mandy, is everything okay? Where you are? What a frightened voice is this, what happened to you? - He asked worried and in the background I heard the voice of Freddie and Roger.

- John, for God's sake, I'm off the metro station Hyde Park Corner (Piccadilly Line). I'm coming back from French class and there's a hooded man following me. I'm really afraid. Until I get home, walking is ten minutes. If I had the money, I'd get a cab, but I do not have enough money here. "She almost cried.

- Mandy, calm down. We'll be there soon. Stay in the cabin. In ten minutes get out of the cabin and run toward the exit, we'll be waiting for you, "John said, hanging up the phone.

I looked through the glass, out of the cabin and the man was leaning against a stra dick, watching me carefully, a little distant. As the station was still busy people returning from studies, he did not dare to approach, though, and le did not take his eyes off me and realized that gradually he began to walk slowly toward the cabin. He looked at me mysteriously, as if he wanted to hurt me. Tears flow from my eyes. I'm desperate. I look at the clock and it's only three minutes after I called John. I noticed that in his apartment were Freddie and Roger, by the voices. I keep looking out and the man was looking around and there were some underground security guards passing by now. I thought about asking for help, but by the time I thought about getting out of the cabin, the security guards were pulling off a fight that started across the subway station and began a lot of rushing. My fear only increased and then I heard shots.

One man was fighting another, because the other wanted to rob a woman. I notice that the place in the cabin began to grow more desolate, and the hooded man smiled, looking at me. My whole body shook. I looked at the clock, six minutes passed. Damn it. The man started to come after me, more quickly. I can not wait any longer. If I stay in the cabin it will be worse. I already have to run to the exit of the station. If I stay here, the hooded man will be able to close the passage and not let me leave the cabin. I look at the clock once more. Seven minutes. I hope John comes quickly to my rescue. He usually drives slower. Although he does not live very far from here. I get out of the red phone booth and start running, heading for the subway exit, and the hooded man comes after me. I run as fast as I can and I pass by some people who walk quietly. The hooded man behind me is not intimidated by people. I start to shout:

- HELP! SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!

We are just off the Hyde Park Corner exit. And I do not see John's car. I go into despair. And the man comes running towards me. I think about crossing the street and looking for some open bar and asking for help, but at the moment, I see a light blue Mini Cooper approaching from where it was and the vehicle was coming at a very high speed. I look at the vehicle and realize that this is Roger? I thought it was John that came to pick me up.