15 June, 2017.

Today I got to know more about my dad's brother, uncle D.

My college has given us a project where we have to pick an entrepreneur and shadow them for a week. Following that, we need to make a report along the lines of the various guidelines given.

I feel like it's a really interesting project. It can give us a second hand experience of running a business. What I hadn't counted was the amount of closeness you'd feel towards the chosen entrepreneur, especially in my case.

Ever since this practicum was announced (which was in April), I had already decided that my entrepreneur would be Uncle D. We had already spoken about his business once before and honestly, I didn't want to find a stranger and explain my project to him/her. I'm not that confident.

I'm not exactly as close to Uncle D as I am to Aunt P. But I knew that he wouldn't decline my permission. He is always ready to help. I had asked him back in April itself but for some reason, I was not able to ask him now.

I think I don't take intiative because I'm afraid to disturb the dynamics of everything in my life that I'm already comfortable with. It's... really complicated. I won't even be able to write it down.

Anyways, let me talk my driving class first. I went on the highway today! And finally drove my car on the third gear! Yay! Obviously, I didn't speed up as much as a regular car on a highway would but it's progress nonetheless. I just hope that I learn how to control the balance of the clutch and the accelerate on my own now.

In the afternoon, I got ready and left house at around 3:30. I had a good half an hour walk. I spoke to Paloma on my way to Uncle D's place. She told me about her college that has already started and about her recent trip to the northside of the country. I told her about my ridiculous driving test debacle. It felt really nice talking to her.

After reaching Uncle D's house, I came to know that Uncle D had already left for his office, which was okay since his office isn't that far away. I spoke to grandad and Parker for a while, afterwhich Parker came to drop me to his dad's office that had shifted a couple blocks away.

Uncle D works in the service industry. His workspace is small but it's sufficient. What I learnt from him today is that he's really down to earth and humble, and he makes sure that he stays that way. He is not at all a show off and has certain principles that he will stick to no matter what.

After Parker left, Uncle D told me how he started his business, how he always knew that he wasn't as educated as my father is and how he always knew that he didn't want to do a job. He told me about his experiences training in different companies until he was finally ready to open his own business. He let me know about all the sacrifices that his parents, aka my grandparents had done for them and how it's all about balancing these various sacrifices to lead a mentally healthy life.

Apart from his professional life, we also discussed about his passion: collecting stamps, traveling and wonderful houses. I already knew how much he loves collecting stamps. He had shown them to us one day. And he did so with so much enthusiasm and pride and that I was very amused by this side of him. Today, he told me about the other two of his passions.

I really liked listening to all his stories. Tomorrow I'll have to come up with well constructed questions so I know exactly which direction I want to head with this project.

Oh and I also have to watch and interview the staff members so that shall be fun. (Note the sarcasm)