Learning to Live

It had been days since the incident. Our friends checked in on us, but we shrugged and faked our smiles. We had missed our child growing up, after all.

We didn't want the pity though. After everything that had happened, we want wanted to be normal. So, we pretended to be.

I tuck Melody into bed. "Good night honey."

"Mom?" She speaks innocently.

I smile, "Yes?"

"Why are you and daddy so sad?" She frowns.

I tilt my head and laugh a bit, "What do you mean?"

"You guys always seem to be a bit... sad.. but whenever people come over to see us, you act happy."

I smile weakly, "Sometimes, things are difficult. Daddy and I try to be happy for you and our friends."

"You don't have to pretend to be happy for me Mommy. It makes me sad that you're lying to me."

My heart melts and I kiss her forehead. "I'll try to be happier."

She smiles, "I love you Mommy."

"I love you too sweetie."

I walk out of her room, astonished by what she just said. She can tell we're faking? It makes her sad?

I sit next to Gene on the couch.

"What's the matter Babe?"

I shake my head. "Nothing."

He smiles a bit and kisses my head. "Tomorrow we're getting out."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Why? How? Where?"

He laughs. "You need a break. Aaron and Aphmau are babysitting this time. And we're going to your favorite place with your family..."

"OLIVE GARDEN!?" I squeal.

He laughs again. "Mhm, you guessed it."

I smile and hug him. He wraps his arms around me tightly. "I love you."

"I love you too."