Christmas Like Never Before

I put on some leggings and a red sweater. Christmas used to be my favorite time of the year...

I stare at myself in the mirror and see the shell of my older, merry self. Well, apparently she's gone now. Tears stream down my cheeks as I remember the Christmas' before.

Flashback

I tumbled down the stairs to the sight of our beautiful Christmas tree. It hurt like hell, but I normally did it.

Since there was no carpet there, it made a big boom. Garroth, Zane, and Vylad all dashed out of their rooms and down there to join me.

"MOOOOMMM!!!" Vylad yelled.

My mom skipped downstairs with her Christmas onesie on. "WHOOP!!"

"Merry Christmas!" We all chimed.

Mom grabbed my hand and helped me up. "The floor, again?"

"MOM IT'S CHRISTMAS: I WAS GIVING IT THE USUAL HUG!"

"Well, where's my hug?"

Flashback Ends

"Are you okay in there, Y/N? Y/N, I'm coming in!" Gene yells.

I walk out, "I-I'm fine."

He frowns and hugs me into his chest. "You're not fine."

He strokes my hair and sighs. "We can stay home if we want, my mom will understand."

I shook my head. "N-No, it's fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Mhm." I nod.

"Alright, let's go then." He smiles.

We walk downstairs and Melody claps. "Mommy, you look so pretty!"

Flashback

My mom walked downstairs in her beautiful black dress and red scarf. We decided to go to the church service this year.

"Mommy, you look so pretty!" Is what I had exclaimed. As a 7 year old, I viewed her as a queen.

Flashback Ends

Gene shakes me gently, "Let's go, mkay?"

I nod and hop into the car. The car ride to Gene's mom's house isn't too long.

When we pull into the driveway, Gene opens my door for me. "After you, m'lady."

Melody and I giggle. Gene is awesome.

We approach the door, but we don't even need to ring the doorbell. Gene's mom is already there with a plate of cookies in her hand and a phone resting between her shoulder and ear.

"Well, Jordan, I need to get off here. My kiddos just arrived. See you later, mhm, bye, hon." She smiles, hanging up.

"Oh! Ms. Shadow, do you need any help?" I ask, volunteering myself.

She laughs. "No, honey! I wouldn't dream of it! Gene, sweetheart, show them to the living room."

Gene chuckles, "Seriously, mom. I can help you if you need."

"I don't need help, I've got this!" She cheers confidently.

He throws his hands in the air. "Okay, okay, if you insist. C'mon, Y/N, the living room is this way."

He grabs my hand and takes me to the couch- Melody follows. "Make yourself comfortable, I'll be right back."

Gene's POV