Chapter 40: Gifts of Home (14 years, 4 months)

Raven waited patiently for the food to arrive. His grandpa wouldn't let him open his present until everyone was settled, whatever that meant. The waiter brought them their food with some help from one of the other workers.

"Barbeque chicken?"

Raven raised his hand. "That was mine."

They passed the plate down to the sub who was squished between his dad and grandpa.

"What kind of pup have you been raising?" teased Xavier.

Darius shook his head. "We let Aden be around him too much."

Raven just smiled and started to eat. He liked chicken and never really understood why they always teased him and his uncle about it. The other started on their lunch as well. Jesse was sitting on the very end of the large corner booth with his father at his side and Daven across from the sub. He wasn't eating much and just kept pushing things around.

Raven wiped his face on the back of his arm. He probably should have sat by his roommate.

"Oh sweety," Rose handed him a napkin. "You'll get your clothes dirty. Use this."

"Thanks." Raven cleaned up his mess and gave her a sheepish smile. "Can we open them now."

Xavier leaned back and wiped his face with a napkin. "I suppose."

Raven giggled with excitement. The old alpha reached into the bag and started passing out the gifts. He gave Daven and then Jagger each a packaged that looked very similar. Jesse got one that was slightly bigger and last was Raven. His present was the smallest. He tried to hide his disappointment that the biggest one wasn't for him, but knowing his grandparents, it would still be good.

Jagger and Daven opened theirs to reveal new cell phone cases that looked practically indestructible.

"Oh wow," said Daven. "Thanks. This will work great."

"Figured with how you two boys are a little rough on things they were needed," said Xavier.

"Thanks," said Jagger with a smile. His was green while Daven had the dark blue one.

Jesse carefully took off the paper and grinned.

"Daven said you were a gamer," said Rose. "I have no idea what that means, but the guy at the store said you'd like them."

He twisted the box with wireless headphones pictured on the outside. "These are great. Thank you."

Raven swallowed hard and peered down at his present. He really hoped it wasn't some technology thing.

"Are you going to open it?" asked Darius.

"I'm trying to figure out what it is."

"Open it and found out," the alpha laughed.

The sub nodded and took off the paper to show a flat box with a white band around it. He slid the cardboard off and opened it. His mouth fell open, and even Darius's breath caught. Diamonds. Square diamond earrings with a teal one in the middle, his favorite color. A chain with a pendant at the bottom with a circle of clear diamonds and another much larger teal one in the center.

"I love them. I love them so much." He pressed the case to his chest. "Thank you. Thank you so much." He hugged his grandfather and then leaned over him to get to his grandmother.

Darius just stood there with a look of shock on his face. Storm even seemed a little unsure. Raven settled back down in his seat and prayed his parents didn't tell him to give them back.