Chapter 71: Gelato (15 years, 9 months)

Daven opened the door to his room. Jagger was lying on his bed facing the wall. Shuffling across the room, Daven sat down on his own and leaned over his knees.

"I'm sorry."

"Hmm..." Jagger didn't move.

"My temper got out of hand, and I snapped. The thought of Raven going to Italy scares the shit out of me. I took it out on you, and I'm sorry."

Jagger rolled onto his back. "I'm over it."

"Just like that?" Daven look at his roommate confused. "I mean that was probably the worst fight we've ever had. I said some shit for the sole purpose of you hitting me so I could justify hitting you back."

Jagger shrugged. "People say shit about me all the time. To my face they smile, and to my back, I'm the bastard child that Northern Ridge took mercy on. I've learned to never take anything to heart."

Letting out a sigh, Daven rubbed his face. "I take back what I said. Just so you know, I didn't mean it."

"I know."

"Arg!" Daven pulled at his hair. "Come on, yell at me or something. I pulled a dick move. This is your one time to let me have it."

Jagger's head rolled to the side. "I grew up with you. Did you take it to an extreme, yes, but I knew you were going to be pissed when you found out. If I wanted to avoid all of this, I never would've told Raven I'd keep it a secret."

The two were quiet for a moment.

Daven sucked in his cheek and glanced at the other boy in the room. "Why did you? I mean my dad, and your alpha, was going to be mad about it too. Why not tell Raven no and avoid all this?"

Taking in a deep breath, Jagger draped his arm over his forehead. "I wanted to see if Raven could actually win." He laughed to himself. "To think the pup we teased and picked on growing up beat us all."

Daven scoffed at the comment. "I didn't pick on him. I told him the truth. It might have been on the harsher side, but you have to be for Raven to get it."

"Book smart without an ounce of street smart," stated Jagger.

"Exactly." Daven nodded in approval. "That's what freaks me out about Raven going. He's smart. He'll do fine in school, but being able to survive in a different country under a foreign pack's rule that's where he'll slip up. You can't find that in a book."

Jagger glanced at the stack of textbooks on his desk. "Midfield thinks different." He tapped his knuckle on the spine of one. "You seem so sure Raven is going to be allowed to go." Jagger put his arms behind his head.

Wringing his hands in his lap, Daven stared at his feet. "This whole fight made me realize it's no longer my place to decide. Raven's my twin, but I no longer have a place of authority over him." He glanced at Jagger.

The boy across the room sat up.

"He's your problem." Daven gripped his knees and nodded. "Don't think I won't kick your ass again if anything happens to him. I'm simply saying he's your responsibility so you better take care of him."

"Wow." Jagger shook his head. "I'd say thanks, but I feel like if Raven fell and skinned his knees, you'd cut my throat in my sleep."

"I'd suggest locking him in a padded room. Give him some books, I'll bring Jesse by to visit him every once in awhile. Raven will be perfectly content."

"Ha!" scoffed Jagger. "That's a lie. If that was true, Raven would be home in Northern Ridge having been homeschooled since the first grade."

Daven smiled to himself. "For a sub, the pup has some balls."