Chapter 137: Race Home (19 years, 7 months)

Jagger pulled the truck into the garage and hoped there was an ATV parked outside. He searched the area but didn't see any.

"Damn," he whispered.

Maybe he could run to the pack, get one, and then drive it back to get his bags. He scratched his head and checked his phone. The bus to pick up the school-aged children would be here in thirty minutes. With a sigh, he went back to the truck and dropped the tailgate. After removing his bags, he sat down to wait. What was he going to say to Raven? Hi, sorry he was a complete asshole and was too scared to face the alpha, maybe they could try again? Jagger ran his hands down his face. The sub wouldn't agree to it. Raven was ready to take that next life step and if Jagger didn't take it with him, the dominant was going to lose the boy.

He started to rehearse what he was going to say. It sounded so cheesy and whiny in his head. What if he got there and Raven was surrounded by all these men that were stronger than Jagger? Was he supposed to walk right up to the sub and say choose me? What if he did and Raven said no? His nerves started to build. It would have been so much easier to do this at the apartment so he wouldn't have to worry about having an audience.

A rumbling came from up the road. Taking a deep breath, Jagger stood. He could do this. It was either tell Raven what he had to say or live with the regret of never doing it. The horde of little children climbed out of the ATVs and the bus appeared down the road soon after. Jagger jumped to his feet and closed the tailgate. He dragged his bags outside before closing the garage.

"Jagger?" Storm spotted them. "What are you doing home?" The brown werewolf hugged him. "We weren't expecting you for a couple more days."

"I got done earlier." He took a deep breath. "I needed to get out of the city. I couldn't take it anymore."

"It's that traditional blood. I'm surprised Daven hasn't cracked yet and came home for a visit," she laughed.

"He's too busy for a vacation."

"True." She picked up a bag. "Come on, you can ride back with me."

They loaded the bags and climbed into the vehicle.

"So, how was school?"

Jagger sighed. "Good."

"Finals went alright, then?"

He nodded. He had until the weekend to take the test online so he'd know soon enough. "I'm ready for a break."

Storm drove the road that had been recently plowed. The further they went into the woods, the higher the mounds of snow started to climb. Jagger hugged his coat around him.

"I bet you can't wait until you can get out of these clothes."

Jagger chuckled. "I'm ready to be a werewolf again for a few weeks."

"How civils handle being in human form all the time is beyond me? I handle it better than my mate, but it's not something I want to do every day."

"I know the feeling." He shifted in his seat.

"Raven got home safe."

"Hmm..." Jagger peered off into the trees. "That's good."

"These already a couple suiters at the cave."

Jagger sat up straighter.

"I know you're protective of Raven, so try and be nice to them. Darius is being difficult enough. I'm surprised they haven't all gone home."

He gave a nervous laugh. The one time he wanted the alpha to chase everyone away, Darius was holding back. They arrived and Jagger climbed out. He gathered his bags.