Act 10: "Some exam this was."

.

.

"First off, for the second test, congratulations on passing!!"

Pride welled up in Kakashi's chest, proud that they were able to finish and managed to stay alive. After all, Gai's boasting and irritating speeches got on his nerves. Most of all, when Kakashi heard about the blood-thirsty sand shinobi, Gaara, was it? He was sure his Genin had encountered him even before the exams started. He was worried but it seemed like it was all for nothing.

His team was strong, stronger than he ever expected in such a small amount of time.

But still, he worried. Shira and Sasuke had been targeted by that vicious snake and now bore the curse-mark Orochimaru gave. He also noticed the tense atmosphere between the two close friends. He wondered if something else happened in the forest during their encounter with Orochimaru because Sasuke and Shira appeared uncomfortable in each other's presence.

"Hokage-sama will now explain the third test!! Listen carefully!! Hokage-sama, please."

"Ah, yes. For the upcoming third exam... but before I explain that... there's something I would like you to know. It concerns the true reason for this exam. Why do we have all the countries take the exam together? To promote the friendship among countries, to raise the level of shinobi... I don't want you to be confused about the true meaning. This exam is... a replacement for the war among the allied countries. Uzumaki Shira, if you will."

Silence engulfed the entire room when a certain redhead appeared beside the Hokage in a blink of an eye. Most Jounins went wide-eyed and almost every genin in the room blinked in surprise.

Kakashi merely smirked behind his mask and wished he has a camera right now. Gai's expression was hilarious. "As a Leaf Shinobi, please state the true reason." In all honesty, the Hokage just didn't want to talk so much just to explain the real reason for this exam. At least, Shira was there to make it more simple and more convenient for him.

The redhead nodded and faced all the genins, an impassive look on her face. "Like what Lord Third said, do not simply confuse this exam as a way to strengthen our friendship with other villages. It is simply to show how powerful a country, a village, a shinobi is. Through life-risking battles, those are times that a shinobi shows one's true potential. Weak villages lose clients and strong villages receive more clients. Villages with no clients will fall and those with many will rise. This exam exists to maintain balance. It's only the matter of power... and determination."

"In short, the friendship between villages means... losing life and establishing balance." The Hokage gave the girl a curt nod before facing everyone once more. "Before we begin the third test, I will tell you more one thing. This is not just a test. This is a life-risking battle... with your dreams and your country's prestige on the line."

Once more, silence enveloped the entire room, only shattering when Shira coughed a bit. Gaara's eyes blood-thirsty eyes landed on her upon smelling the blood.

The Uzumaki girl wiped the blood that trailed down her chin. "I don't care what it is. Just hurry up and tell us what this life-risking battle entails." Gaara impatiently said, a slight glare plastered on his face. Shira glared back with the same intensity. "Yes, I would like to explain the third test but.."

"Actually... cough... I apologize Hokage-sama. From here on, as the referee, will you please allow me, Gekkou Hayate..."

"By all means..."

The proctor stood up from his kneeling position and looked at the genins. "Hello everyone, I'm Hayate. Um... before we start the third test... cough... there's something I'd like you to do... cough..." Shira merely raised an eyebrow and wondered if this person could still go on.