Shippuden Act 17

"Oi, Kakashi, you little brat!"

Flinching, the young ANBU felt a drop of sweat slide down from his forehead. Even without turning around to check who it was, he already knew who called for him. "K... Kushina-san." Of all days for her to seek him out, it happened during one of his forced vacations from Lord Fourth.

Towering over him with a menacing expression on her face, Uzumaki Kushina bonked him over the head. "I know Minato assigned a different ANBU for me this week but it doesn't mean you don't have to visit, 'ttebane!" Rubbing the top of his head, Kakashi sighed and relented easily. A mission was more preferable to him than just to sit around without doing anything.

To be honest, Kakashi would like to spend his days alone without making contact with anyone... without making bonds that were so easy to sever. A single snap and all that he built would be destroyed just like that. So, yes, he preferred to do missions compared to being lazy and doing the babysitting.

With his avoidance to look at her in the eyes, Kushina could not help but lament over the young ANBU in front of her. He was so young yet he already lost so much. If it were up to her, she would never have children become ninja at such a young age. Thinking about that, her hand moved on its own and caressed her bulding stomach with great care.

And so, the redhead decided to snatch up a startled Kakashi's wrist amd dragged him with her. "K-Kushina-san, where are we going?"

But she did not respond. In fact, she was too busy thinking what she should do with Kakashi for the rest of the day. After all, even someone like him, who had been training in the ninja arts since young, needed a break from time to time. She did not want him to overwork himself.

Hell, she did not want Kakashi to swim too deep into an ocean with no way out, too deep to breathe properly, and too deep that he might lose himself forever. As he glanced at that annoyed gleam in his eyes, Kushina could not help but pull him closer so that the two of them walked side by side. That action earned her a startled look from the young ANBU but she returned it with one of her bright smiles.

Even though this child was not her own nor a student of hers, she refused to turn away when she knew that he needed someone to bring him light. It might sound cheesy. Heck, it is cheesy. However, Kushina had long decided to do whatever she can for Minato and in consequence, to those he was connected to as well.

Thus, Kakashi was a part of her circle; a circle of people who she would protect with all she can.

As the Uzumaki caressed her stomach with her free hand once more, she hoped that her children would do the same for their family and friends.

They don't need to be strong.

They don't need to work themselves to the point they forget to take care of their own health.

They don't need to get along with everyone.

They don't need to be too kind to others.

All Kushina wanted is for them to be happy and for them to take care of the bonds they build with people.