Act 26: "why can't things stay the same?"

Naruto frowned.

Naruto sighed.

As he looked at his sister's uncomfortable expression, he knew she was having a nightmare but he didn't — couldn't — wake her up. He tried numerous times already but she just wouldn't wake up. No matter what he tried, she was locked away in her nightmare.

He didn't know what she was seeing right now. What she was experiencing but he knew that it was something horrible. Something terrible enough to scare his beloved twin. Was she remembering the time she was kidnapped or when they argued? Please tell him it was not that.

Naruto felt awful when he was reminded of that incident. His sister, who had always looked out for him, placed herself in danger because for him. This was his twin who had gone through thin and thick with him. Who had loved and cared for him as long as he could remember. This was... all his fault, wasn't it? The reason why she was suffering right now.

The Uzumaki clenched his fist. No, don't think that way. If she was, then wouldn't she tell me? Naruto could't lose sight of his goals. He will protect his sister, his friends and this village. How could he be Hokage if he couldn't even help his sister?

"Nee-san, I'll promise you that you never have to suffer because of me. I'll grow stronger and make you see that I'm the greatest ninja alive, dattebayo! And then, when I become Hokage, you'll be my right-hand woman and we'll be the strongest pair! So... So get better soon, nee-san." His voice trailed off, no longer as energetic as it had been at the start.

He plopped back down on his seat and devoured the ramen he brought. His sister had always been there for him and always supported him. This time, he swore he would do the same.

He slurped up the last of his ramen and wiped the sauce off of his face with his sleeve.

"I bet you're hungry, ttebayo! I bought you dango so you better wake up soon! I might eat it all up, 'kay, nee-san?" Silence answered his enthusiasm. The grin on his face curved down as he slumped over his seat. "I wish that you're awake." A week passed by since she fell into this comatose state. To him, it felt like the longest time he'd ever waited.

The door creaked open; Naruto raised his head in an instant. "Ah, Pervy Sage, what are you doing here?!" Jiraiya sweat dropped. Why couldn't he get used to his new nickname? "Yo, kid. How's your sister doing?" And then, the slightest light in Naruto's eyes dimmed as he, once again, slumped over his seat.

Jiraiya's eyes softened at this. He really cared about his sister. He plopped down something on the small table near Naruto. The loud sound stole the blond's attention as he peeked at whatever it was.

"I know 'ya just ate ramen but I think you need more. You only ate two bowls since this morning. " His eyes caught sight of two empty bowls. He expected a grin, he expected the blond to jump around in joy but he didn't expect to see Naruto become more dejected than earlier. "I dun wanna eat anymore without nee-san, ttebayo."

The sage rubbed his nape, wondering how he was going to cheer the blond up. He had never handled such a dismayed kid before; not even his former students were like this one. "Listen kid, I know you're super worried about your sister. That doesn't mean you can't eat. If you don't eat, what will your sister do?"

The blond felt a shiver ran down his spine. Jiraiya smirked at the reaction he got from Naruto. "Now eat, brat." The Uzumaki pouted but complied to his demand anyways. Halfway through the first bowl, both occupants froze when they heard a groan.

Naruto quickly set his bowl down and went right to Shira's side. Her eyes slowly fluttered open, causing Naruto's cerulean blue eyes to lit up in utter joy. "Nee-san, are you alright?" She gave him a small smile, making the blond boy relax. The sight of the smile on her face loosened all the tension in his muscles.