Sixty Six

Mitch had texted Scott that he didn't need a ride home from school, which led Scott to assume that he was getting a ride with Alex or Kirstie.

But when Alex came home by himself, telling Avi that Kirstie was hanging out with Kyle again, Scott frowned and went to find his phone. 

As he was sending a text to Mitch, he found Alex again just to be sure. "Is Mitch in class still?"

"No. He got out about an hour ago. Why?"

"He didn't come home." Scott responded, suddenly panicked about Mitch's well-being.

"No, he has an appointment. You knew that, I thought..?"

"He's doing it today?" Scott stepped forward. "Wait, did he tell you what it is?"

"Mhmm. Not allowed to talk about it."

Scott frowned at him, and then decided he wasn't gonna wait for a text back, and instead made the phone call. 

Mitch answered quickly. "It's almost done, baby. Stop freaking out."

"But... Come home. Please?"

"Only a few more minutes, honey. I promise."

"But... Does it hurt? Are you piercing something? I thought you were gonna take Avi with you? Is there any kind of needle, because I need to know if--"

"Baby, it's gonna be fine. I promise. I'll call you back when I'm leaving."

"No, you can't leave me. Just tell me how it's going? I hear a bunch of people talking in the back round but I don't hear tattoo needles, so. That's a good sign."

"Stop trying to figure it out. That's rude."

"How is that rude?" Scott paused to think again. "You didn't take a car, which means it's in walking distance from your campus..."

"What if Kirstie drove me?"

"Alex said she was with Kyle."

"What if they're both here with me?"

"You're trying to confuse me."

"Yep. Is it working?"

"No." Scott sighed in a defeated way. "Will you please just tell me?"

"Sorry, honey. Can't do that."

"Or just give me the address so I can pick you up? Please?"

"That's not a bad idea... I'll give you the address when I'm like five minutes away from being done. Okay?"

"Okay... How long have you been there? Have you eaten? Want me to grab you some food or..?"

"I'm okay. But thank you, baby. You're always so sweet."

"So.. Can I have the address now?"

Mitch sighed very slowly, almost like a mother that has said no to her child several times. "Not yet, honey."

*

Scott sat in the car, waiting for Mitch's text to come in. But once it did, Scott was out of the driveway in a heartbeat. 

He texted Mitch as soon as he arrived at the address, squinting a little at the hair salon he'd pulled up to. 

Mitch took his time walking out, wanting even more suspense. He called Scott before he walked out of the building. "Okay, turn the car off, get out, and stand with your back to the building."

"Mitch that's so weird." Scott responded with uncertainty, although he was already climbing out of his car. 

He obeyed Mitch's orders, and told Mitch so on the phone.