Grilled Cheese

Kevin tightened the lid to the vase as well as he could before picking it up off the counter and staring at it. He kissed the top it before walking over to the television stand. He pushed away the DVD cases and made sure the stand wasn't too dusty before placing the vase down. He then sat on the couch across the living room and made sure the vase was positioned the way he liked. He folded his hands together and whispered a small prayer. He trailed his fingers along his chest in a cross form before standing up and going upstairs.

He walked into Kirstie's room and saw all the packaged boxes laying on the floor. He then jumped when a hand was placed on his shoulder and he turned around, staring at Scott's bright blue eyes.

"Hey. We packaged some of Kirstie's stuff to place in storage. Have you gotten her will in the mail yet?" Scott asked, moving around Kevin to pick up a box.

"N-No. Not yet. What's in that box?"

"Her coloring books and coloring stuff. Want to keep something?" Scott placed the box on the bed and opened it. Kevin rummaged around in the box and took out a handful of Kirstie's finished colorings.

"Just these." Kevin held the pages close to him as Scott closed up the box.

"Mind if I take your car? The storage garage is kinda far."

"Sure. Keys are hanging up." Scott nodded and left the room. Kevin sat on Kirstie's bed with the colored pages and flipped through them, his tears staining every other one. He wiped his face quickly and took in a deep breath before rushing to his room.

-

"Scott. I don't need this." Kevin mumbled, tossing the pistol between his hands.

"The cops said they haven't caught the guy so, it's best to be protected at all costs," Scott said, handing Kevin a case. "Keep it in here. So the others can't get to it."

"What about you?" Kevin asked, taking the case and storing the gun inside of it.

"Already have one under the bed. I even put a pocket knife in Mitch's bedside. Just to be extra safe. Don't worry, he knows how to use it properly. I taught him."

"Don't want to lose another Omega." Kevin half-heartedly said. "Thanks for the gun. I'll be sure to go get a permit." Kevin walked off to the other room and Scott sighed, going downstairs where Mitch was waiting for him.

"All done, Alpha?"

"Yep. Did you call the Uber?"

"Yes, sir." Scott kissed Mitch on the cheek and two shared a longing kiss and a giggle before leaving the house, hand in hand, unaware of Kevin staring at them with regret in his eyes.

Kevin waited until the door shut and he locked his bedroom door, tossing the gun and case on the floor and collapsing on his bed.

"I didn't get to tell her I loved her that night. We had an argument and I punished her. We slept in separate rooms. She always wakes up on her own and goes to the kitchen after a fight for something sweet. I never show her affection like those two do to each other. I can't believe I let it come to this. If only I was better and jus-" Kevin thoughts were cut off by his door opening and he looked up, Matt standing in the doorway.

"Sorry, Kevin. Should've knocked. Kirstie's will has come in. I left it on the kitchen counter with some food." Matt said and waited a short moment before running back his room.

"Two weeks down. Much more to go. Hopefully, I can do this." Kevin sighed as he looked at the calendar.

- One Month -

"Alpha?" Mitch knocked gently on Kevin's door and waited patiently. The door unlocked and opened, Kevin peeking around it. "Hi."

"Hey, Mitch. Um, give me a second. I sleep naked, hold on." Kevin shut the door and Mitch rested his back against the nearby wall. Kevin emerged from his bedroom in shorts and faced Mitch. Mitch held out his hand that Kevin took. Mitch lead Kevin downstairs and the two sat on the couch.

"What is that you need, Omega?" Kevin asked, yawning.

"Alpha Scott had something to do with the army and he dropped me off here to hang out with you." Mitch stood up and started up the game console, grabbing two controllers and walking back to the couch with a blanket. "I'm sorry if I'm intruding."

"No, not at all. I guess I need to get out of the room eventually." Kevin shifted himself and patted the spot next to him. Mitch sat in the spot and Kevin draped the blanket along their laps as he grabbed one of the controllers. The two played video games for the day, Mitch glad he got Kevin out of his depressing shell for once. He looked up as Kevin won the third Mario Cart game in a row and noticed his smile and bright eyes.

"Hungry? I make a mean grilled cheese." Kevin offered. Mitch showed a bright smile as he hasn't seen Kevin cook since the event.

**********************