Chapter 12

August 21st

   It's 10am and I'm laying in my bed under the covers on a Saturday morning, crying. I don't know why I'm crying, I should get up and go downstairs and face my parents and tell them that it's not their decision to decide whether or not I should go to the parties at the college I'm soon to be attending.

Beep! Beep!

I looked over on my nightstand and grabbed my phone. As funny as it sounds, it wasn't Ali texting me. It was just a email notification. Talk about a terrible weekend and to make everything worse, my first day of college starts soon. September 3 to be exact and I have not packed a thing.

   I got out of bed and went to brush my teeth and wash my face. I took a quick shower and put on some fresh clothes.

Knock knock

I'm sitting on the bed when then comes a knock on my bedroom door. I just sit there and stare at it. To be honest, I dont want to be bothered whether it's Ali or Mom or Dad, especially Dad. I just ignore it thinking maybe they'll go away but then that person starts to jiggle the door handle.

I freeze. And then my heart sink.

Mom and Dad should be at work and Ali would text me before she came over and there is not one other friend that has ever been to my house before. What if it's the guy from the party?

  Yeah maybe I'm over thinking things and yeah Mr. Collins said that he's in jail but what if he isn't?

  I stand to my feet and slowly approach the bedroom door. I go straight for the knob about to open the door and,

  "Honey? Are you awake?"

I let out a breath and realize its mom so I open the door.

I look at her, "Can I come in and talk to you for a minute?"

  "I guess" I let her in.

"I thought you'd be at work" I said.
  "Yeah but I decided to go in late because I needed to talk to you" she told me.

She goes straight for the bed as I head back to the floor with my suitcase open, " So what's up?" I say to her in a low tone.

  She looks at me, "Honey, I am so sorry about-"

"Mom you don't have to apologize for this. It's not your fault, you were right. I should've told you when I came home the same night"

  "Yeah but that's alright. We would've had the same conversation that night instead of last night" she gives a light smile.

  "Yeah" I say, not looking at her. My eyes began to water and I know any minute tears will fall from them.

 After a bit of silence, mom asks "What's wrong Kat?" She comes over to wear I am, sits down on the carpet next to me and she looks at me with a curious expression.

  I don't say anything because I look up at her and my face says it all. The tears began to fall from my eyes

"Oh honey" she opens her arms and I jump in her embrace. This is what I needed, I thought. I let out all my emotions on her shoulder.

    "I was so scared mom, I'm so sorry I didn't tell you"

  "I know baby, I'm sorry this happened to you" she tells me in my ear. She then looks at me and wipes the tears from my eyes.

"I'm so glad your okay" she says.

   "Me too. But mom please talk to dad about letting me go to parties at the college" I try to explain to her. It should be my choice. It was my mistake and if anything ever happens again, I should be careful and pay more attention.

  " Oh I don't know about that one, but I'll tell you this" she starts, putting my hair behind my ear, "you go to that school and you do whatever you think is right".

  She hugs me again and then she gets up, I look at her and she goes to the gifts she brought me that were still in the closet because I haven't had a chance to fully look at them.

  She digs in the gift bad for something shiny and she brings it over to me, "this was my moms. She gave it to me and now I'm giving it to you. Promise me you'll pass it down the line".

  Now it was my turn to give her a curious look, "What? I mean it. If your Dad won't let you have fun and Ali has to have her own fun, that leaves me." She laughed which made me laugh a little.
  I took it out of her hand and looked at its shiny charms, "I promise mom".

She put the bracelet around my arm and then walked over to the door about to leave, "Hey mom?"

  She turned and smiled, "Thanks...for everything" I told her. "Your welcome sweety" she said.

As she shut the door, I looked at my arm and thought about what she said. Passing it down the line. Do I even want kids? What if I don't find someone to be with? I shoved the idea aside and went to go finish packing. Man I'm so nervous about college, new faces, strict teachers, and a whole lot of work. The things I am most definitely not looking forward too.