Royals

Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a prince. Sometimes, I wish I was something 'lesser', like a lord or a knave or an ordinary person.

Because being randomly kidnapped by a dragon was not on my to-do list this morning.

I had dance lessons to go to, piano to practice, fencing to avoid. There was a banquet planned by my mother tonight, which will have to be cancelled. My father was going to give me the 'you need to find someone to marry' talk again over the starter, and I was planning to wait it out yet again. I was then going to get the same lecture I always get from my personal servant Yoongi, who remains certain that revealing my relationship with Captain Jeon is the best way forward.

I am a busy royal teenager. I don't need this.

But now, here I am, dangling two hundred feet in the air in the claws of a massive red-winged dragon. My hair is getting messy, my arms hurt, and there's air attacking my face constantly. I also feel quite ill, as this particular dragon has not mastered the art of smooth flight. It seems that he's not accustomed to kidnapping living beings.

Which is annoying, to say the least.

Our kingdom stands on the border between Faerie and Pangaea, so things like this happen a lot. I'm used to being whisked away by a fantastical creature of some sort, or coming down the stairs and finding out that one of my siblings has been taken to Faerie. It's the reason things like this don't bother me, even if they used to.

I was last kidnapped about half a year ago, and rescued by the Royal Guard, as per usual. My boyfriend was just a knight at this point, but his determination to keep me safe and the age of the captain at the time proved to be reason enough to promote him to Captain. The status change is one he's particularly proud of, as this one means he's finally highly regarded enough to be a suitable suitor for a prince or princess.

There's only one problem with this.

My older sister, Princess Taeyeon, is obsessed with him. She's constantly talking about him, constantly hinting that a marriage to him would be perfect for her, constantly watching him. Of course, she has no idea that he's a taken man, but I know exactly how she would react if she found out.

As the oldest, she gets everything she wants. So if I reveal that he's already in a relationship with me, she will demand that she's married to him instantly. She will want everything to go her way, even though I'm her brother.

In short, she's a spoilt brat.

I close my eyes, allowing myself to enjoy the movement of air against my bare skin. Dragons don't often get involved in politics, so this will be a more interesting rescue, hopefully. They're a little more violent sometimes, and are more like mercenaries, but I'm sure I'll be okay. As long as I make sure I don't say anything offensive.

This time round, Jungkook will be in charge, so I trust him to find me within the hour. He's been trained by professional trackers, he knows me better than anyone, and he practices for hours every day whilst I'm in my lessons. He is likely to be the first to notice that I'm missing.

My eyes open when I'm placed gently on a rock, and then the dragon lands gracefully in front of me, wings folding with practised ease as it settles into a crouch. I sit up, carefully, watching the dragon with cautious eyes. They're easily angered, so I have to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.

"Were you sent by King Park or King Jung?" I ask curiously, leaning my elbow on my knee. The dragon blinks twice, and I nod in understanding. "King Park it is. It's been a long time since he's ordered a kidnapping, I guess it was about time. Is he planning to visit me here?"

The dragon blinks once, and I smile slightly. Jimin, the King of one of the kingdoms within Faerie, is a pink-haired water pixie with a heart of gold. His traditions mean that nobody can know the location of his castle, hence the kidnapping. The rescues are only necessary because it's the only way for me to get safely home. It also allows my father to properly be represented.