Chapter 68

Harry

"Happy birthday dear, Louis. Happy Birthday to you!" our singing was followed by the applause and cheers of our friends as Liam placed the candle-lit birthday cake on the table in front of Louis.

"Come on, you old man, let's see if your lungs still work like they're supposed to." Mitch laughs, earning a few claps and laughs; mainly from Adam.

I take a deep breath to not tell her to shut up, and instead I turn to Louis who is sitting to my right. He looks up fondly, no doubt appreciating all the people who have come to celebrate him today. I smile at him when he finally gets around to look at me.

"Well go on then, make a wish." My arm moves to rest on the back of his chair as he closes his eyes then leans forward to blow out the 23 candles.

Everyone claps and Liam flicks on the lights again as we were instantly clouded in darkness.

"Let's eat!" Louis cheers happily.

"Wait, wait, wait." Comes a frantic sounding Irish accent, "Birthday picture for the birthday boy." He says, his phone already pointed towards us.

Just as I go to pull my arm away Louis leans into me closer, wrapping his arms around my waist and leaning his head on my shoulder.

Instead of looking at the camera, I turn my head and kiss the top of his head. I hear a few coos from surrounding people, the loudest being the cameraman himself.

"Look at how cute you two are." Niall beams, showing us the picture on his phone.

I smile as Louis coos and asks Niall to send the picture to him.

"First piece goes to you, Lou." Zayn says and brings the piece over for him.

"Thank you." He says.

It feels as if everyone is now more entertained by something else, whether that be cake or company. I feel like for the first time since his birthday party started we have a moment alone. Even though technically we're in a kitchen full of people.

"Here, princess." Louis feeds me the first bite of the chocolate cake, "You okay?"

"Yeah I'm good." I nod my head. Today is his day, he shouldn't be worrying about me

"Really?" He raises his eyebrows then puts a hand on my lap, "What are you worried about?"

I shake my head, "It's nothing, I promise. There's just a lot of people." I shrug.

He leans forward so his lips are centimeters away from mine, "I love you."

I can't do anything else except kiss him.

"Alright, let's go join the party." He smiles and puts his hand on my waist, "Thank you by the way. I know you and Liam were in cahoots about this."

I shrug, "It was no big deal, Liam mainly got everyone together."

"And who was it that took me out for lunch today to make sure the party was a surprise?" He smirks.

"Okay," I roll my eyes with a smile, "That was me."

"Thank you, Princess." He kisses me on the cheek and I feel the warmness wash over me like a wave of pure happiness. This is what it's like to be loved by someone.

***

I'm seated on the couch in the living room, Louis beside me. I watch as he enchants his way to hold the group's attention. I don't say anything, but the conversation is lively. A few of Louis classmates have excused themselves from the party already but there's still quite a few people here.

"Oh mate! Don't even bring that up!" Louis laughs, leaning back with his hands pressed together, "You know exactly why I did that! You were the one with your head in the shitter!"

I wonder if anyone else is as enraptured by his eyes as I am. The way they crinkle at the sides as he laughs, or the way they gleam with happiness all the time. I never believed eyes could sparkle until I met Louis.

"My goal for my actual birthday is to be as drunk as possible without being belligerent."

"Well you'll have to let me know. I'm leaving for home tomorrow for Christmas, so I won't be there." Laughs one of the guys that I forget the name of. He sits on the floor in the middle of the couch. His boyfriend sitting on one side of the couch and his partner from school sitting on the other. The two on the couch seem to actually be having a good conversation. Before I can catch myself, I find my lips spreading into a smile. Why am I smiling at them?

I'm broken out of my inner thoughts when Louis puts his hand on my thigh, "Well Harry here is from Cheshire. Not far from you."

"No way!" One of the girls, Amelia, says. "I'm more in the North."

I must've missed the conversation, but I smile at her, "I'm more in the South."

Louis can probably sense my tiredness or lack of willingness to have a conversation because he immediately puts his hand on my thigh and changes the topic to his family and where he grew up.

***

It comes time for everyone to leave, their goodbyes always seem to drag on, leaving Louis at the door for what seems like hours. I remain on the couch, with Louis now with Zayn and Justin.

I overhear what might be them talking about having dinner sometime over at Mr. Reid's and Mr. Turner's. I'm too tired right now to even think about what that might look like.

I hear the door close and close my eyes as I lay my head on the back of the couch.

"Is Princess tired?" I hear Louis mock as he comes to stand in front of me.

I can only huff a laugh and wait for him to come closer. I feel the couch dip on one side of my thigh and then the other, the warmth of his body on top of mine putting goosebumps on my arms.

I thought he was going to start grinding down on me, but instead he lays his head on my shoulder and wraps his arms around my sides.

I open my eyes to make sure what I'm feeling is actually happening. I raise my hand up to his back and slowly go up and down. This feels so nice. Comforting. I rest my head back against the couch again close my eyes.

***

I wake up to the vibration in my back pocket. My neck aches as I first lift up my head. Louis. My poor sleepy Louis. I let the call go to voicemail so I don't disturb and I rest my head again.

Not a moment later it started ringing again. I try to shift a sleeping Louis off of me but I fail to do so wile keeping him asleep.

"What's going on?" He asks, rubbing his eyes with the base of his palm.

"I'm getting a call." I tell him quietly.

He shifts himself off my lap and onto the cushion beside me. Groaning as no doubt his legs are as sore as my neck was.

I reach for my phone and answer it with a groggy greeting of 'hello'.

"Harry? Oh thank god. I need you."

oOoOo

Ouuuuuuuu any guesses on who it is?