|71| - Try not to get yourself into trouble: failed

"I don't know...I'd have to ask Jeongguk," Ellie sighs into the phone when her best friend tries to persuade her to go to her own birthday party for the third time in the past 10 minutes.

"So? Ask him then. What's the problem?"

"Fine...I will ask him today."

"You better, and don't forget-" Nancy starts but the door of Ellie's room has already revealed Jin in a big coat.

"I need to go. Jin wants to talk to me."

"Are you going?" the boy asks once he sees the phone call has been declined.

"Where?"

"I am going to the warehouse to see what's new. Jeongguk is also there," he explains, playing with the car key in his hand and Ellie realises that might be a perfect chance to ask him about the party.

"Just give me a second."

With a wink he leaves and Ellie tries to think of a plan which may really persuade Jeongguk.

_________

"You didn't!"

"Yes, I did," both of their laughs seem to never stop and Ellie's eyes are already watering from how hard they're laughing.

"I can't believe you made him dress up as Grinch for Halloween!"

"You should have seen him! I am convinced he hates Grinch ever since."

"How old was he?"

"Only twelve," Jin admits and Ellie shakes her head in disbelief.

"He's been so different since it happened to them..."

"You mean his parents?" she questions carefully, evidently catching Jin by surprise.

"He told you?"

"I knew, kind of. But yes, he told me."

He looks at her and then back at the road, staying quiet for a while to think over the whole thing.

"You are the first person he told...He never spoke to us about it, we all knew just from Yoongi."

She stares at him. Yes, it took Jeongguk a while to open up to her about his past and it surely wasn't everything he's gone through but the fact that he hasn't told anyone else catches her off guard.

Why would he tell her out of all the people?

"I wouldn't stop him if he got to kill my father."

They both look at each other, staring back with empty eyes and even though he wants to, he doesn't tell her not to say such things.

"What else did he tell you?"

"Not much to be honest."

"Still, I am surprised he told you that. You know, he didn't always used to be this way?"

"What way?"

"The way you got to know him. He used to care about everyone, not just those of us. He used to believe in love."

"I think he does believe in it. He just doesn't know how to show it."