Christian Keib

*EDITING - ONLY HALF POSTED    (3/2/11)

Life-

Dedicated in Loving memory of Christian M. Keib

June 2nd, 1971 - March 30th, 2009

He always shot for the stars, even when they told him he wouldn't make it

 This story does not start at the beginning. It starts at the very end, the very end of it all. Michigan March 29th, 2009 about 2 in the afternoon. A small family walked slowly through the lonely and silent hallways, cautious and quiet. This family was going through so much. Some would be amazed that none of them had gone mad under it all. The fading case of Breast Cancer, the Recent Divorce, the slow consuming dislike between daughter and father, and now this. A young nurse, maybe in her mid-20s, came out of the one of the patient room’s. She gazed at the family then hurried towards them.

She stopped in front of the family analyzing each and every one. The grandmother was here all the time, the only thing that changed was who she brought. Today it was her daughter and granddaughters. The nurse stood there rocking slowly back and forth on her heels as she looked at them. She didn’t want to say anything, but she knew she had to. “You may go see him now.” She replied simply before she hurried off to perform other jobs that needed her. The Grandmother turned to her granddaughters and tried her best to smile; it faded quickly from their eyes. There was no need to trick them.

One of the daughters stared up at her grandmother confused about it all, she was only five. Her mind had not grabbed hold of what was happening, she may never remember him. The next one looks around at the blooming flowers and the happy pictures on the wall, she was eight. She would remember, but it would be a distant memory. Something she would never have to really bother over. Then there was the eldest child. She would always remember this. One day it might be a dark cloud looming over the horizon, another day it might be a distant memory. Right now though, it was the rain cloud over her. There was no way to hide it, no way to trick her into forgetting that it’s there. It’s just something she would have to deal with over time. The mother of the daughters didn’t say anything; she just looked about like the middle child. No one wanted to face the facts. That’s the thing with Life, we wish to be hidden from the scary truth but this is no bedtime story. You can’t just close the book and go back to your happy life. This is real and this is what Life is. A series of events, some sad, that make you who you are.

-------------------------------------

http://www.cancer.gov/