Chapter 33: Boiled: Part 1: Memory's Ghost

There were things Arisa hated at times when memories of her past came back into view as she walked through ravaged towns that people did not have the best of luck in. Her memories of days she would volunteer in homeless shelters to help the people serve hot meals to those who have no home. When she would help give out the necessities these people needed. Even money to help them. Those days brought her joy however, in the world and time she lived now, such things were not available here. It's been a month since she and Amir parted ways and things....just seem not well these days.

"These people......" Arisa muttered softly as she walked through Dukedom of Aegir, "The air around here....is that of a tyrant despite the land and town is buzzing with activity." She thought as Red Hare walked beside her, Feh perched on her shoulder, and Blanca in her arms.

"These people are not happy even if the town is bustling with life." Sothis said as she manifested herself.

"Agree." Arisa said as she walked up to a merchant, "Hello there, if it be alright, may I ask you on what tea you have?" She said and the merchant slightly widened their eyes.

Anna taught her and everyone in the company the secret language that merchants at times used to gather information. It is only to be used when it is necessary. Not to mention the words used by thieves also. The merchant nodded and allowed her to enter their tent.

"Honestly I am surprised a girl such as yourself knows the codes." They said as the two sat down.

"I'm a mercenary." Arisa said, "Anyhow, can you tell me what I want to know?" She said and they nodded.

"The town may be filled with life, but it is nothing but a hollow shell. The Duke is nothing but a tyrant since power was stripped from the Emperor. But...there have been rumors that there have been sightings of strange people dressed in black. Has everyone on edge since the news of the Massacre of House Ordelia has happened. The Alliance Lords are in shambles!" He said and Arisa and Sothis cringed.

"Has....there been any news regarding the death of The Imperial Prince and Daughter of House Vestra?" She asked.

"Ah that.....sad thing is it occurred the same day as The Tragedy of Duscur. Tensions with the Kingdom and the Church have become strain since all the seven survivors said that someone with the uniform of the church attacked them." The merchant said and Arisa bit her lip.

"First the Empire....then Alliance...now the Church has to worry about The Kingdom....

Sigh....Rhea's rule is beginning to slip....it only worsened when Christophe was executed despite all the evidence Emily presented that he was innocent. Also, learning from her, Zander was nearly sent to Abyss because of how he played everyone like fiddled. Makes sense why he was also denied the crown despite him being the oldest....about half the lords hate him." She thought as Sothis looked at her worried.

"By the way," her attention returned to the merchant, "that wolf pup, it is a rare Canis lupus Arctos!! Are you selling it?" He asked.

"Hell no!!" Arisa said as she hugged Blanca tightly to her chest, and Feh on her shoulder hissed loudly.

She would be damned if she did such a thing.

"Oh...umm...I did not need to offend you." He said as the two stood up and walked out the tent, "Do be careful though. Rare ones like this one are hunted down here." He said.

"I know." Arisa said and handed him a gold coin, "Thank you for the tea. It was lovely." She said and began to walk away with Red Hare.

5 minutes passed since she spoke with the vendor and began to look around, like usual, buying a few things. But she wasn't stupid, she felt eyes on her, by the towns people but also, she spotted a few magicians dressed in black. Thankfully they only saw her as a mercenary passing through. She made her way to the port where she saw ships for fishing, trading and such coming in.