Chapter Three

"Violet Summer Evans where the hell have you been?" My bossy mother demanded as I walked into the door. "I told you I was going to the library, mom. Is that a problem?" I rolled my eyes as I set my purse down and slid my phone into the back pocket of my jeans. "Don't give me your attitude young lady. Now help me make dinner before your father gets home." I sighed, there was no use arguing with her this time. "Yes, ma'am." I took off my denim jacket so it wouldn't get dirty and began helping.

"So did you get anything exciting today?" My mom asked, trying to make conversation so it wouldn't be awkwardly silent. I wanted to tell her about Ric but something told me not to, I was afraid she would yell at me since he was older than me so I lied. "Not really." My mom didn't believe me, "Violet, you were there for five hours. There had to be something exciting." So I told her about Ric but let out the kiss and subtle flirting for obvious reasons. "Okay...I met the college's new history professor. His name is Mr. Saltzman." I fought the urge to blush when I said his name. "Oh really? Interesting last name. His poor students are probably going to butcher it." I shrugged, thinking about him.

My dad walked in several minutes later, "What smells so good?" He set his bag down before walking in and giving mom and I a kiss on the forehead. "Chicken, rice and cheese enchiladas." My mom was of Hispanic descent while my dad was of German descent. I didn't look like either of them. My dad was tall with blonde hair and greyish blue eyes while my mom was average height with brown hair and brown eyes. I was very short at 4'11 with green eyes and red hair. We knew I wasn't but we'd joke about me being adopted or switched at birth. "How was your day?" My dad asked me as he grabbed two enchiladas. "Fine. I spent the afternoon in the library again." I grabbed the milk and poured myself a glass while he put two on my plate as well as my mom's. "You really love that library, don't you sweetie?" I nodded, sipping my milk. "It's practically my second home at this point."

He laughed as we ate. "She left out that she met the new college history professor." Mom chimed in, Gee thanks mom. "Oh? And what did a grown man want to do with my teenage daughter?" "We just talked about history. That's it." And we may have made out behind the shelves. I thought as I took a bite. "Well, I'm glad you're attempting at coming out of that shell of yours." Dad smiled. Both of my parents were very much extroverts but I had always been excruciatingly shy and hid behind the pages. "Yeah, me too." I sighed with a partial smile as I ate and thought about what Ric might be doing tonight. I couldn't wait to see him again and soon.