Chapter Thirty Four

"What's this?" My mom asked as she took the cake from me as Ric and I stepped inside. "Dessert for later." She nodded as she put it in the kitchen.

We all sat down at the kitchen table, there was finger sandwiches and other food there. My parents sat directly across from Ric and I. My dad was the first one to break the awkward silence. "So you're the guy dating my daughter." Ric gulped nervously so I held his hand. "Yes sir I am, Mr. Evans." My dad chuckled, "Please, call me Aldo. This is my wife, Francesca." They all shook hands, releasing some of the anxiety.

"So tell us about you." My mom said as she served us. "Well I'm Ric. It's not short for anything." I told him if he said his full name, my mom would've had a cow because she was under the impression that Alaric Saltzman was the college history professor, not her 16 year old daughter's high school teacher boyfriend. "I was born in Boston but moved here when I was twelve." "How old are you now, Ric? You look a lot older than 18." That's when my heart nearly stopped. Crap.. I looked up at Ric, I could tell he was nervous. We dodged the question.

My dad's eyes narrowed as if he was suspicious. "Aw come on. You can tell us, who am I to judge? I'm 47 and Franny is 38." Wait what! Mom is nine years younger than dad? How come I never knew this? "What do you do for a living, Ric?" Mom chimed in when we still wouldn't answer. "I'm a substitute teacher in Lynchburg but I live locally." "That's quite the drive." She said, Ric nodded.

When Ric got up to get the cake, his wallet fell out of his pocket with his driver's license exposed. "Hey Ric, you dropped your wallet." My dad bent over and picked it up, examining it. Shit. Crap. Oh no. He read it over then looked me dead in the eyes. I was screwed. "Violet." "Yes dad." He threw the wallet down in anger. "You're dating a THIRTY YEAR OLD MAN!?" Tears welled up in my eyes, I was unable to speak as dad stomped over to me, grabbing me by my ear. "Daddy stop. Please." I begged him. "Mr. Evans let her go." Ric came over to my rescue, mom stayed silent. "Give me one good reason not to hurt you, you son of a bitch." My dad moved his attention to Ric, who had moved me out of the way. "Because I love your daughter more than life itself. She is an amazing young woman and has so much goodness inside of her." Dad glared at him then looked at me. "And why shouldn't I hurt her?" He barked at Ric. The timing was horrible but if I didn't do it now, it wasn't going to happen at all. "Because I'm pregnant daddy."