Chapter Seventy Six

Everything happened so fast, like I could blink and miss something. Like he promised, Ric met me in the room, along with my parents. I felt relief despite wondering how Ric was able to leave school so fast. I looked over at him as he held my hand, stroking the back of it to relax me. "I told you it would be okay." He smiled at me, he always knew and I loved that about him.

As I laid in the hospital bed, the doctor would frequently check to see how dilated I was. I was four centimeters after two hours. The contractions were pretty painful but that was because I had a fairly low pain tolerance level.

I looked at Ric, he was biting his nails. "Babe." I reached my arm out to him. "Hm?" He looked up at me and saw my hand so he gently took hold of it. "It's okay. Just like you promised." I smiled, he visibly relaxed. "I love you Vi." "I love you more Ric."

About an hour or so later, I was six centimeters dilated, just four more before it would be time. Despite not handling pain very well, I opted not to take the epidural since I didn't want to risk anything happening to me or our baby girl. I would just have to endure the much worth it pain.

It wasn't until about three and half an hours later, I was dilated enough for delivery and experiencing the "ideal" contractions. My parents waited in the hall while Ric put on the suit the doctor gave him. "You ready Mrs. Saltzman?" The doctor asked me as he physically prepared my body. "No but who's ever fully ready to give birth?" I chuckled, lightening up the mood. "That's the spirit." He smiled as I gripped Ric's hand, breathing heavily through the contractions.

"Okay Violet, it's time." The doctor looked up at me what felt like an eternity later. "Time to push." So I did. Dear God it hurt, I clenched my teeth as I pushed as hard as I could. "Keep going." The doctor and nurse encouraged me as I kept going. "They're crowning. You got this." The nurse grinned at me as I kept pushing, I groaned loudly since I was trying so hard not to scream. After several minutes of intense pushing and squeezing Ric's poor hand, I heard the most beautiful sound in the world. A sound that brought tears to my eyes as well as Ric's. Our bundle of joy was finally here.