Chapter 10

Chapter 10: This isn't the first time I've killed

With great difficulty, I used the flashlight on my phone to fumble my way through. From time to time, there would be a sour smell in the air. I wondered if people randomly threw their trash here.

Despite the awful smell, it cut my journey in half. Thinking of this, it drove me to hold in my breath and carry on through the alley. I wanted to get through it as fast as I can.

When I had gone through ⅔ of the path, I vaguely heard trifling noises behind my back. It sounded like footsteps, but they were lighter than footsteps. Was it a mouse scuttering through the garbage? I suddenly turned around, but I was faced with the pitch darkness. I couldn’t see anything.

I waved the flashlight of my phone, but there was nothing. However, my heart still felt very uneasy. Goosebumps were extending from my arm to my entire body, and my back wouldn’t stop shivering.

I hastened my pace and centralized all my sense organs. I noticed that if I accelerated my steps, the sounds behind me would grow louder. But if I slowed down, the sounds would become softer. Could someone really be following me?

At this moment, the words of those uncles and aunties suddenly popped in my mind:

“Have you heard? Recently there has been a bad guy in our area!”

“What bad guy?”

“He tends to target those walking who walks alone late at night. According to rumours, he is not satisfied with wallets and cellphones...he even kills!”

“Lies! If someone like that existed, the cops would have caught him by now.”

“I’m not lying! It’s even on the news. My granddaughter showed me. She told me to be careful and not to go out at night. You should also be more cautious. Tell your son and daughter-in-law to go home early! Every time I think there is a chance of being approached by the bad guy, my heart trembles from fright…”

My legs began to shake. Out of all times, why was this dialogue popping in my mind now? I felt an urge to urinate; as if I was watching a horror film and it was really coming at a bad time. Plus, it wasn’t night yet…. I can’t be that unlucky, right?

Don’t tell me I’m getting a real test because I resented Shen Shaoqian for creating a fake situation!? Oh God, please forgive me! I know I tend to attract a lot of ghosts..but don’t let all the bad stuff come to me as well!!?!?!

I just started living in a 140 square metres apartment. Don’t let me wake up from my dream so soon!

I didn’t do anything. All of a sudden, the sound behind me got closer and closer. It sounded more and more daunting.

I seized the little time that I had, and just as I felt the person was going to touch me, I violently turned around and used all my strength to throw my weapon, the watermelon, at him.

I didn’t strike a person, but I alarmed a few rats. One after another, they spurted across my feet.

“Oh! Oh oh oh!” In order to avoid the rats, I stomped my feet like I was doing a tap dance. Although rats were scary, I felt much better after confirming there wasn’t a person behind me.