Chapter 38

Chapter 38: 24 hours date (Part 2)

She hadn’t appeared these past few days. Why's she suddenly here again? Especially during this crucial moment...my date with Suyang…

“What’s wrong?” Suyang seemed to have sensed my strange behaviour.

“Ah? Nothing. T-there seemed to be a mosquito in the car. It just flew by.” I waved my arm, indicating for Xu Weishan to withdraw her hand.

“Were you bitten? I have an anti-swelling and itch cream in the car.” Suyang said as he began to shift his arm to locate it for me.

“No need. I wasn’t bitten. I’m fine.” Then, from the rear mirror, I gave Xu Weishan an annoyed look. I wanted to condemn her and hoped she would figure out a suitable time to excuse herself.

In my opinion, that suitable time was now.

She didn’t appear to want to leave, as she remain seated at the back with thick skin.

Suyang continued to drive along the highway. Gradually, I began to see the coastline. Through the weak glow of the street lamps, I could see a distant beach ahead of us. I opened the window slightly and a salty breeze blew in. I could vaguely hear the sounds of sea waves.

Could Suyang have….

In the dark, Suyang finally stopped the car. “We have arrived. You may get out now.”

“Wait!” I pulled my hand out to stop Suyang from taking off his seat belt. “Don’t get out yet.”

“Why?”

“Can’t we….stay in the car for a bit longer?” I pointed to the sky. “The stars are so beautiful.”

Suyang chuckled, “I thought you wanted to say something else. You want to look at stars?....” Suyang leaned over and unbuckled my seat belt. Then, he slowly lowered my seat and opened the sunroof.

“Now you can have a clearer view.”

“Mm..” From the tiny sunroof, I had a panoramic view of the entire starry sky. It was very clear and made the stars appear extra dazzling. I could never experience this type of serenity in a city. At this moment, I felt like I could finally let go of all my problems and resentment.

“Do you think it’s true that after we die, we turn into stars?” I was feeling sentimental, and asked Suyang.

“No. After we die, we will become nothing.” Suyang calmly replied. I wasn’t satisfied with his response, so I gave him an annoyed glare for ruining the atmosphere.

I could see ghosts. Grandmother Meng said most of the ghosts remain on Earth due to resentment. But sometimes, I wonder where they'll be after they disappear. Is it what Suyang said? They become nothing? Or do they begin a new life elsewhere?

“I have a question…..” Suyang asked.

“Ask.”

“Why don’t we watch from the outside? If we go out, we can see the entire sky.” Suyang suggested.

I tilted to the side as I shook my head, “It is too chilly outside.”