Chapter 54

Chapter 54: The ending he must bear

“Huh? You are…?” That was so out of the blue...I glanced at the number again.

“I’m Hong Xiaobei. From now on, listen to me. I know you’ve been watching me ever since you have come to this school. I don’t care what motives you have for approaching me, and neither do I care about your relationship with my sister. But currently, you’re the only person I can share my deep thoughts with. Ever since my sister died, I’ve always been living in the midst of pain and struggle. The only things that sustained me from continuing to act her role were Kevin and Xiao Xin. I thickened my skin because of Xiao Xin’s hospital bills. I wore the high heels and the brand uniforms that didn’t belong to me. I carried the brand name bags that weren’t mines. I lived a luxurious life that was someone else’s. I guess I am rather fortunate. Each time I felt like I had no one to rely on, God would grant me another reliance. But I always give those people misfortunes. Right now, Kevin is my world. During my most helpless and desperate moments, he believed in me. He decided to stay by my side during my most darkest times. So, I love him. Both him and Xiao Xin are the people whom I want to protect the most. But today, at 5:47pm, the doctor announced that Xiao Xin had passed away to another world. I don’t want to have any more hopes towards life anymore. All the people whom I loved are dying one at a time in front of me. They all leave me. Late at night, I often cry myself to sleep. I can’t help but feel resentment. Why is life so unfair? Why can’t I protect those who love and support me? I’m calling you because I want you to do one thing for me. From the start, I’ve never been able to successfully protect anyone. This time, please let me succeed for once. I’m begging you…or else my life would be a total bust. In regards to my sister’s issue, although Kevin took part, I hope you do not mention him. Please do not mention it to anyone. If others find out, he will be considered an accomplice. He will be sentenced. His future is bright, I don’t want him to go to jail because of me. Just let me take responsibility for everything. Allow this secret to disappear with me. Oh, also, please tell Kevin I love him. I have never told him face to face. After all, I am a shy maiden. I don’t have the courage to say “I love you”...”

Hong Xiaobei’s words seemed to be heading towards a bad direction.

Aside from the unknown number, I heard someone yelling from the background.

“Miss, come down!”

“It’s so dangerous. Whatever you want to say, come down first!”

Could she be….

“Xiaobei! Don’t do anything crazy!” I hopped up from my couch and shouted into the phone, “Where are you now? I’ll come find you!”

“No need. I’m tired...I just want everything to end….”

My sense of dread was growing by the second. I tightly gripped onto my cell phone as I tried my best to persuade her. “Xiaobei, please do not do anything foolish. You told me how you felt when your father committed suicide. You know that suicide is not the answer. It’s only an escape. You’ll be pushing all the responsibilities towards others instead. Those who love you will suffer. Please calm down. We can take time to make a decision…”

My voice was caught in my throat. There was no sound on the other side of the phone. I only heard the wind howling, with no sound of life.

My cell phone slipped from my hands and landed on the wooden floor. It made a huge noise, and I felt like there was a gigantic hole in my heart.