49 - Privilege

(Lisa)

My first half of the day at the Kim's was better than I expected. Her parents were very kind and accommodating.

After mine and Jen's unplanned encounter in her room, we had to take a needed shower first before we went downstairs. We offered to help her mom prepare lunch.

"Lisa sweetie, you can stay in the living room or on the porch if you like, we can manage here, you're our guest you shouldn't be helping here" her mom said nicely.

"I really want to help. I like seeing Jen moving around the kitchen too" I confessed.

"Yeah, she never do this before she met you. Would you believe she prepared a breakfast feast for us yesterday morning and we were all surprised when we woke up" she told me smiling.

"Lisa taught me well, what can I say? But mom, that's just breakfast food, nothing like what both of you can cook", Jen said then added, "Mom, do you know that Lisa is a very good cook? Her specialties are French and Italian cuisine"

"Really? Now I'm pressured to cook when we have a chef as a guest. I can use some new recipes honey. You know that a way to a man's heart is through his stomach!" her mom said laughing.

Jen and I laughed with her and Jen said, "Yeah. That's probably true, because my ex-boyfriend always preferred take outs and delivery. I was done trying after two times of receiving bad comments from him" she said laughing.

"He should marry a chef then. And it's his lost babe. But I should give my thanks to him, I found you right? But he is still an asshole!" I said in distaste from the topic, forgetting Jen's mom is around. My eyes met with Mrs. Kim's and I said, "Sorry"

"We really didn't know what happened, why they broke up but maybe it's for the best? It seemed like Jen made the right decision", she shrugged.

"I did mom. Don't worry. I never felt this much loved before. Like I'm actually questioning myself if I was in love with Kai when I was with him, because the feeling never felt this strong when I met Lisa", Jen said thoughtfully.

"Well, for both of you, just an advice, think about the present and future, not the past. But make sure you keep the learnings in mind. You wouldn't be here if not for your good and bad decisions in the past", she told us both.

Jen hugged her mom and I smiled at the both of them. I just wished I still have a mom that I can ask for love advice too and a dad who can share his love for cars and business with me. I tear up a little thinking how I miss my parents, seeing Jen's parents today made me feel happy and sad at the same time.

When they looked at me after hugging I'm afraid that they'll notice my slightly teary eyes so I hurriedly excused myself to avoid their questioning eyes.

"I'm sorry I really have to make a phone call right now. I forgot to tell my secretary to move one meeting. Excuse me", I said in a rush tone.

I went to Jen's room to have a lone time and to keep myself together before I face them again. I tried to tame my tears but they keep falling and I saw Jen's photo frames and a photo collage wall, all family pictures. It made me cry even more. I wish I have a family too. I want what they have but sadly, I can't.

I heard a soft knock at the door before it opened revealing a worried Jen.

I chuckled trying to lighten up the mood since I was caught in the act of crying "Why were you knocking? It's your bedroom silly"

Jen didn't say anything to what I said but she went directly to the point, "What's wrong baby? Why are you crying?"

"Nothing. I just felt.. A bit emotional", I simply said.