Chapter Seventy Two

{A/N : My mom showed me the performance New Kids On The Block did for the Superbowl back in 1991, and she says (not word for word as I forgot) "At least they can dance. One Direction can't." Also, Katy Perry's performance was AMAZING (just like her), and did you also notice that she was the girl on fire with Lenny Kravitz...#mindblown. HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY HAROLD EDWARDS STYLES!!!)

Chapter Seventy Two :

"I've missed the beach."

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kind of missed Miami, too."

Kyla let out a quiet laugh. "Remember the time when my dad took us and your brother surfing on the last day of summer vacation, and you just got a new shortboard, so you were really excited to use it...and...and," Kyla started laughing. I did remember what she was talking about. I just didn't say anything, and decided to wait until her fits of laughter died down. "You turned...and you smacked Alexander with the...shortboard...by total, and complete...accident."

"Yeah," I smiled. I was sixteen then. I looked down at my glass of lemonade. "Those were fun days. I miss it."

"I don't miss the school parts."

"Cheers to that," I laughed.

Our glasses made a noise as they bumped into each other.

"I miss surfing the most," Kyla said after a few quiet moments.

I looked up. The sound of the waves washing to the sand and then back out was relaxing. It was near eight in the morning. Palm trees were swaying slowly. I felt like I was in a movie sitting on the step of the deck Kyla's dad made with wood from Home Depot.

Kyla wasn't wearing flip flops like me. She went outside barefoot, which was normal for her when we used to live in Florida. Kyla dug her feet deep into the sand.

"The sand feels so good."

"Yeah...that's one thing I don't miss."

"How can you not miss sand?" Kyla asked. "It's mother nature's free spa."

"I hate how it clings to your body, especially when your skin is wet," I said. "It's annoying."

"Remember when we were younger and instead of building the sand castle properly, you threw the bucket of sand in my face?"

I looked over at her. "Yeah...sorry about that."

"It's fine. It wasn't like the sand took over a month to get out of my hair and my eyes."

I laughed. "I was seven. Let it go."

"You were eight."

"I was close. Let it go," I joked. Kyla laughed.

"Pancakes are ready, girls!" Kyla's mother called from the kitchen.

Kyla stood up, and set her drink down on the ledge of the deck. She helped me stand up, and then we were on our way to the kitchen. I opened the screen door, and walked in. I quicked off my flip flops, and kicked them over to the side. Kyla was still outside shaking sand off her feet.

Mrs. Marin sent me a smile as she walked over to the kitchen table with two plates full of pancakes. Mr. Martin followed behind her. He carried a bottle of maple syrup, a container of whipped cream, and a glass bowl of chopped up strawberries. Audrey came running down the stairs and into the kitchen with her attention to her phone. She almost ran into her parents in the process, but dodged it at the last minute. I walked to the table just as Harry came in from the living room. He sent me a smile and walked over to me.

"Hello," he kissed me before sitting into the chair next to me.

"Hello," I smiled back.

"Okay...where is Niall and Kyla?" Mrs. Martin asked. She passed out napkins to all of us before taking a quick roll call mentally. Mr. Martin sat down in his usual seat, the head of the table, and instead of the morning newspaper, he had his phone out. Audrey didn't look up from her phone and shrugged.