the unit chief

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

summary:
after hotch goes into witness protection, a new unit chief is needed, and a blast from the past returns to fulfil that role
_____________________________________
"this is agent y/l/n" i answer my phone as i'm going over some confidential case files.

"y/n, it's hotch. listen i know you left but, somethings come up and i need your help" he tells me. he proceeds to tell me all about an unsub named 'mr scratch' who is targeting aaron and jack and how he has no choice but to go in witness protection.

"oh my god. i'm so sorry that's happening aaron. what can i do?" i ask straight away. aaron has always been there for me and it's time i repaid the favour, no matter what it is.

"the team is going to need a temporary unit chief and i have a lot of trust in you. i see no one else fit for the job. the job is yours if you want it. you know the team well and you know how to lead" he tells me. if i'm being honest, i was not expecting this. maybe help him with fake passports or something, but unit chief?

but i can't just say no. hotch and jacks lives are in danger and the BAU team is a asset to the FBI.

"y-yeah, i'll do it. of course. just tell the bureau to send me details" i tell him.

we converse for a while more about our lives before aaron has to leave to prepare for witness protection. i wish him all the best luck.

after hanging up with aaron i called my supervisor at sex crimes and explained the situation with as little details as possible for aaron's safety. luckily i was able to take as much time off work as needed to become the temporary (so i thought) unit chief.

the rest of the day is spent preparing myself for the upcoming day.

_

as i enter the BAU i see the bullpen empty however i see daves office light on so i quickly make my way up there.

i enter to see him writing stuff on his laptop, presumably his next book.

"you come to work to write?" i ask as i stand in the doorway of his office.

he quickly looks over at me and opens his mouth in shock before getting up from his chair and giving me a huge hug.

"y/n! what are you doing here?" he asks as he pulls back.

"we need to talk" i then go on to tell him about aaron's situation and why i'm here.