Chapter 46: Can't lose you again

Bruce takes you further into the laboratory, and asks you to lay down on what is basically a cushioned slab of metal.

"This isn't even slightly comfortable Bruce," you say, laying your head back.

"This isn't a spa," Bruce says with amusement.

You laugh nervously, as Bruce takes his place behind his wall of screens.

"You ready?" He asks you.

You nod, and take a deep breath, as the machine around you starts whirring and moving.

Bruce is quiet for a long time, and you start to feel your heart racing.

"Bruce....?"

Bruce doesn't answer you, but his face is serious as he taps more buttons on the screens, and you feel your scalp begin to prickle.  Your eyes blur once more and you look over once again, realising this time, that you can't see Bruce clearly.

"Bruce, something is wrong." You say, panic rising in your voice.

Suddenly you look down at your arm, as it begins to glow and you watch, as the light emitting from it starts to float above your skin.

"Oh god Bruce, what the hell is this?!  Get it out of me!" You shout out across the room.

Bruce finally stops tapping on the screens long enough to answer you.  

"Stay still, I'm going to see if I can identify this and get it out of you." He assures you.

You nod, trying not to move, when the door to the laboratory bursts open.  You forget what Bruce has told you, and sit bolt upright, turning to see a very angry-faced Steve scowling between you and Bruce.

"What the hell is going on here?" Steve asks, his voice low and unwavering.

"Steve, it's fine," you reply.  "Bruce is helping me, I was going to tell you, please don't be-"

He cuts you off as he stalks towards Bruce.

"Really Banner?  What the hell were you thinking?" Steve asks, as he gets closer to Bruce.

"She asked for my help Steve.  I'm just doing as she asked." Bruce says back calmly.

Steve turns away from Bruce with a sigh, and looks straight at you.

"Get up, we're leaving," he says while walking quickly towards you.

The last thing you hear is Bruce's warning that Steve shouldn't come near you yet, before your entire body briefly gets hot, and you pass out.  As you recover, and your vision comes back, you look up to see Bruce with his hand over your arm, and Steve looking anxious behind him.

"W-what happened," you manage to say, looking at both men.

"I was mid-process, identifying what was going on, and our abrupt visit from your boyfriend, overloaded you.  You have powers." Bruce says, while running his hand above your skin.

You see Steve blanch.

"Can you get rid of it?" He asks Bruce quietly.

"I can't." Bruce replies.  "But I know a man that can."