Chapter 61: Wedding dress shopping

You've been planning the wedding for a few weeks, both you and Steve agreeing you wanted to be married sooner rather than later.

Today you have your first wedding dress shopping booked in with your Sister, and her only.  She's the only person you have left in your family, and the only person who you need on a day like this.

You choose a few dresses you think you may like, and narrow them down to two that you want to show Pepper.  You're helped into them and shout out to her, as she's waiting in a sofa area.

"OK PEP, you ready?"

"Ohhhhh yessss!"  Pepper responds excitedly.

"Well....this is the first one."  You say, as the curtain is pulled back and you walk out, holding the front up slightly so you don't trip.

It is fitted on the bodice, but a complete princess dress, with flowing layers and a beautiful train at the back.  You genuinely feel like a million dollars in it.

Looking up at your sister, you smile.  She nods but doesn't say anything.

Pausing, you look down at yourself, and shake off the feeling that you're getting.

"OK....well there's another one I liked."  You say, shuffling back into the changing area and slipping on another stunning dress.  This one has a skirt full of feathery material, and feels light when you walk in it. 

You walk out in that one, but Pepper still doesn't say anything. 

"Pep, do you not like them?"  You ask her, suddenly massively self-conscious. 

Pepper shakes her head, and clears her throat.  

"I love them.  Both of them.  Honestly?  I'm just trying to hold it together.  You look absolutely incredible Sis.  I'm so so proud of you, and I know Mum would be too if she was here."

At the mention of your Mother, your throat closes with unshed tears.  You were only 8 when she died of cancer, and Pepper basically brought you up after that.

Turning away so you can hold yourself together, you clear your throat.

"Love you Pep." You say quietly.

"I love you too."  She replies.

Later that day, you're sat in your room, going through the wedding planning list, that you and Steve have been compiling.  He has a pen in his hand and is ticking off what's ready to go.

"Did you get your dress today?"  He asks.

"I did in the end yes....." you reply.  

"Right then!  That's the guest list, the cake, and your dress now ticked off!  Obviously I'm gonna need to know what it looks like so I don't end up rocking up at the wedding wearing the exact same thing as you...."

You laugh.

"Nice try Rogers.  Besides....you could never pull off what I've chosen!"

Steve pretends to stab himself in the pen like it's a sword.  

"Ahhhh you wound me my love!"  He says, throwing himself across the bed.

You laugh even harder now.

"Get up you silly man." You say, poking him with the pen.

He laughs with you.  

"You don't mean that.  You love me really."  He says with a smile on his face.

You look down at him, smiling up at you.

"I do.  And god I cannot wait to say those two words to you at our wedding, and become your wife.

"Me too baby," Steve says back.  "I love you so much."

You lay down next to him and snuggle into his side, unsure as to how you got so lucky, and hopeful that this is your happy ever after.....