Number 22

Words of not wisdom, Words of love.

Tris POV

   I gasp when one of the Erudite slap me over the face. Tobias pushes against the people holding him back. "W....Why? Would y...y...yo...u, do that?" I ask.

   All I want is a few moments alone with my loved ones-and Susan. The Erudite guys lifts me up by my hair and I screech. "Ya know? We got somethin' going down. Something that is hard for you to hear. Your, "baby girl" will grow up with no parents. Doesn't that sadden you?" The way he whispers in my ear makes my stomach turn, and I feel like I will vomit.

  He pushes me at Tobias, and they shove us to the side. I decide nows the time.

   I'm about to speak when Tobias says, "I love you. More than life itself. A world without you is a world without meaning. I want you to know that. Never, ever, doubt my undying love for you. Do you understand?" I'm taken aback. I smile through the pain. "Tobias Eaton. You always make me feel special. You make my world complete. I'm not just Tris. I'm Tobias, too. And I know that sounds weird. But it's because you are me, and I am you." When I speak its in a whisper. Unavailable to the rest of Erudite.

   I look over at Seely and she's hunched over. My baby girl. Only 2. She needs parents. She deserves more then what she's getting. I look over at Tobias and whisper some things in his ear.

  I walk over to Susan and slap her so hard on the face the bruise already starts to show.

  I grab Seely. I run to Tobias. But the Erudite are guarding the door. Not just 3, like before. But all 17 of them. I don't know what to do. And by the look on Tobias' face. He doesn't either.