Number 45

Fear

Tobias POV

"Who's first?" Questions Tris. Mine first, I think. I want to know if I'm a coward, I tell myself. "Hell with that," Tris says. "You're not a coward Tobias. If you were, well, you'd be Erik." I know what she means.

It's not that we are the same, but we are both desperate people. But I handled mine properly, I think to myself. "Let's do mine," I say. Relief floods Tris' features.

I cup her face with my hands, "You don't have to do this," I tell her. Her features change. "No. I'm doing this." Stubborn as hell.
>>
I feel wind surrounding me. Heights. Some things never change. I find it comforting some things in life stay the same. Even if it's a fear. I turn to where Tris is supposed to be. What the hell?

I look around and see a small fragile looking body on the ground. No, No, No, NO! Tris' voice whispers in my head, "It's just a simulation. I'm still here." I nod like its real. "One," I say. "TwoThree." And with that I'm off the building and in a box.

Tris POV

"Tobias," I sigh. We're both stuck in a box. This...is different. I here Tobias grunt and the box is broken.

Then I'm in a chair. My wrists are strapped down. Tobias is in front of me his eyes fearful. Marcus stands next to me and presses a knife against my throat. This isn't real life. This is Tobias' fear.

"Fast way: You shoot her. Slow way: I press this knife slowly into her neck," Marcus talks quietly.

"How about none of the above snake?" I spit blood at Marcus.
"Bitch!" He roars. Tobias doesn't waste his time. He shoots at Marcus.

I'm suddenly out of the sim, but Tobias isn't. He's facing his biggest fear without me.

Tobias POV

This system is sick, I tell my self. I'm slowly smiling when I realize Tris still isn't with me. I feel cold hands restrain me. "What the bloody hell is going on?" I shout. I see a spotlight appear and a small blonde women crawls into the circle of light. Tris. "Help me," she croaks. She's all bloody and there's wound, a large wound, in her stomach. "Tobias where are you!" Tris cries.

I push myself against the invisible people. "Tris," I yell. "Baby hold on!"

I push and push and suddenly she slumps to the floor. "No!" I cry. Her breaths become shorter and shorter. Until they're gone.
>>
I sit up and feel my stomach churning. Tris staring at the screen in awe. She's alive. It was just a simulation. She left the sim. She didn't see the last one. At least she didn't see it in person. "Tris," I whisper. She runs into my arms. I hold her tights. "Oh my god," I continuously murmur.
>>
"My turn!" Tris says. She sounds like a child. "You sure you want to do the simulation still?" She nods quickly. She grabs the needle, and I grab another. "On three. One. Two. Three!"
>>
Tris POV

The field. The field. I feel a warm hand incase mind. "I remember watching this," Tobias chuckles out. Suddenly a swarm of crows surround us. "Drop!" I yell. He does just that. "Gun. Gun. Gun." I whisper. Suddenly something cool and smooth appears in my hand. I shoot 6 times, and I'm in a tank.
>>
Tobias POV

My feet are soaked. The water in the tank is up to my ankles and up to Tris' shins. Her eyes are closed and her breathes even. It looks like she's asleep, I think to myself. Her hand touches the glass and a crack appears.

I try to do the same. Only mine comes with a smaller crack. Better then fucking nothing. Tris relentlessly taps it and I do the same. By the time I'm nearly done the water is up to my chest. I look over at Tris. Her eyes are filled with fear. Her crack is gone. And she's completely submerged. "Tris," I shout. She can't hear me.

She shakes her head. Her lips are turning blue. 'Keep tapping!!!' She writes on the glass. 'I'll be okay. Do it!!!!' I nod and keep going. The glass breaks and I'm free. I run through the glass to Tris and help her tap it. I'm half done when it all disappears. I look down at Tris and see a lifeless body floating. She's dead. I force back the tears from my eyes.

Tris POV

I find myself in a lab. And Tobias on a table. And Jeannine Mathews beside me. "This must be so sad for you," she says. "Your husband is Divergent. You still must be happy that you're not."
I'm not Divergent? "I-Is he alive," I manage to question. "Well, sort of. The death serum hasn't fully taken effect. But he very soon will be."

I look around and see no weapon. I focus as hard as I can. I knife appears in my hand. "How dare you," I spit. I throw the knife at her and it hits her hand.
>>
Tobias POV

"Goddamn it Tris! Go hide! I'll hold them off." She laughs and kicks one. I don't know what they are. Demon faceless zombies, maybe?
"There's....a...window," Tris grunts out while pushing the creature away. "Go for it." We both run to the window.

But neither of us make it.

Tris POV

GOD I HATE THIS ONE!!!! I scream and shoot myself in the head. I will never ever kill my family.
>>

I find myself, and Tobias tied up. Erik lights a fire around the dry grass. Why must it be dry?? Why can't it rain, huh?

"3rd times a charm right stiffs." I scowls at Erik.
I can't help the snarky remark that comes out of my mouth, "3rd time? Haven't you been doing this for years, and failed. Probably more like, hm, 10th times a charm?"

Erik growls and stabs Tobias. "TOBIAS!" I scream. I see the life go out of his eyes.
"Rain," I mutter. "Please rain." I feel cold wet drops on my face.
>>
"Beatrice Prior. You're sentenced to life in jail for kidnapping."
What is going on?
"What are you taking about?" I ask. The judge stares at me. "You kidnapped Seely Eaton. Then denied the kidnapping."

I look around the court and see Tobias. "Judge," he says. I can tell by his voice that it's not my real Tobias. "Beatrice Prior is not fit to be a mother. She said she'd like to say hi to Seely then when she arrived home she had a crying Seely in her arms."

What? "She's my child!"
>>
A bed. Please no. "Hey there," Erik says. This isn't really him. It's just a simulation him. The man pushes me onto the bed. His hands instantly reach for my pants........

Tobias POV

I can't watch this. Tears run down Tris' face. "Remember it's a simulation!" I yell at the screen.
>>
This is the longest she's ever been in a sim. A thought hits me square in the chest. She's forgotten it's a simulation. The fear hits to close to home.
>>
I plunge the needle into my neck knowing being there I can save Tris.
>>
A final punch to the back of Eriks head gets him off Tris.
>>

I come out of the sim with Tris. Even out of the sim tears run down her face.
"It's okay," I say. "Because I love you."

A/N: oh my. I loved writing this!!!