27

onika

I woke up to my phone going off. I tired to ignore it at first but it wasn't stopping.

I sat up and looked around. I was alone in Beys bed, I had no idea where she was.

I picked up my ringing phone and when I saw it was August calling I answered as fast as possible.

If he was calling me this early it must be for Imani.

"Hello?"

"Are you home?"

I hate that he feels like he can question me. "Are you in my business? What did you call me for?"

He doesn't understand divorce at all. We haven't been together in 6 years.

"Imanis sick, I think."

"You think? What is she sick with? Did you give her any medication?"

"How am I supposed to know?"

"Nigga be a fucking father, you're so dumb." I really hate him with everything in me.

"Onika you-"

"Shut up bitch." Like I said, I'm very irritable when I wake up. "Did you give her any medication or anything? What symptoms does she have?"

"She was sweating and she said she had a sore throat. I gave her Tylenol since that's the only thing I had."

"Tylenol? Send me a picture of it." I have a little faith in him, he can't be that stupid.

"Okay, hold on."

While he was doing that I checked the time, it was 9:28 am. I sat in silence until I got a text notification from him and clicked it.

"You gave my daughter Tylenol extra strength? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Was I not supposed to?"

"No you weren't supposed to give my tiny six year old Tylenol extra strength you fucking imbecile."

I was beyond livid but I didn't want to raise my voice because I was at Beys house. I shouldn't even be surprised at this point, he's a walking disappointment.

"I'm not an imbecile-"

"Spell it."

"Are you really trying to be funny right now? What do I do?"

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair, I just woke up and I'm already stressed. "How much did you give her?"

"I don't know, I just filled the shot thing all the way up."

"The shot- bye, I'm on my way." I hung up on him and got out of bed. Talking to him wasn't going to get anywhere, I'll just go over there and get him.

I had no idea where Bey was still but I didn't care. I walked down her stairs and she was sitting at her dining room table. She had glasses on and she was typing something on her laptop.

It was covered in stickers but in a nerdy way. It's what you would expect from a teacher.

"I have to go, I'll see you soon." I was scrambling to get my stuff, I was thinking of all the worst case scenarios in my head.

Bey closed her laptop and stood up. "Go where? What's wrong?"

"Imanis sick and my ex husband is an incompetent fool."

"Oh I'll come with you."

"You don't have to-"

"Onika."