Chapter 7 Gamer Boy (part 1)

It was another school day and
Alya and Marinette were walking together down the hallway.
Marinette noticed that there weren't many students around, so she asked to Alya where was
everybody.
"Probably in the auditorium. If I remember correctly, today are the qualifications for the tournament" Alya said.
"What tournament?" Marinette had no idea what she was talking about.
"I'll show you!" Alya immediately changed direction and Marinette followed her.
More than half of the school was in the auditorium, to assist the qualifications.
A console had been connected to the multimedia board, and the projector was broadcasting two avatars fighting in a game.
"A videogames tournament?!" Marinette exclaimed enthusiastically.
"Yup! Every year our school takes part in this tournament with other schools" Alya explained.
The tournament was so important that even the principal was there to assist the qualifications.
Marinette and Alya sat down among the other students to watch the game.
When they sat, their schoolmates changed seats to not be next to Marinette: they were still afraid of her for the things they heard about her.
Marinette didn't care about them; she was concentrate in the game, because the two players that were competing for the first place were Max and Adrien.
They were both very good and the points they had accumulated were absurd figures.
But in the end, the one who won and gained the first place was Adrien.
"It's settled! The students who will represent our school in the tournament are Adrien Dupain and Max Kanté" Mr Damocles announced.
Everyone started clapping and cheering for the two boys.
"With Adrien and Max as a team, we're totally going to win" Alya said, clapping her hands like the others.
She looked at Marinette, but her friend was no longer sitting next to her.
"Can I partecipate?" Marinette went to ask to the principal.
Mr Damocles wasn't expecting that.
"You want to?" He replied surprised.
"Yes! I love videogames, so I would like to try" Marinette answered politely.
Adrien smiled of excitement when learned that Marinette loved videogames, just like him.
Mr Damocles was unsure on letting her play or not.
"I heard that videogames are good for the temperament of the young minds" Alya intervened to help her friend.
"Is that so?" The principal took her words seriously.
"You can use my joystick, Marinette!" Adrien wanted to see her playing.
"Hold on, everyone!" Max exclaimed "Marinette, don't take it in the wrong way, but this is not a game night between friends. You'll have to make a perfect score if you want to reach the first place, and I doubt that you can do better than me and Adrien!" He laughed.
Without even looking at each other, Adrien gave to Marinette his joystick.
"I don't need to make a perfect score, I just have to beat yours" She said with a secure voice.
Marinette and Max started a new game.
On the back of the auditorium, Sabrina and Chloe were chatting instead of watching the game.
"I don't get why there are so many people obsessed with videogames!" Chole scolded.
"You want me to show you how to play?" Sabrina asked.
Chloe remained silent for a few seconds before saying yes and blushing.
In the meantime, Marinette and Max were fighting for the second place.
She was really good indeed and Max was starting to realize how their game was going to end.
And finally, when Marinette's avatar launched the last attack, Max was defeated.
Her score surpassed his own and she got second place.
"This means that the students who will represent our school are Adrien Dupain and Marinette Agreste-Cheng!" Mr Damocles affirmed.
Max sadly congratulated with Marinette for the victory, then he walked out of the auditorium.
"Remember that you need to practice together before the tournament" Mr Damocles said to the two students.
"I'm afraid it won't be possibile at my home. Is it okay if I come to your place, Adrien?" Marinette asked to him.
"Ye-Yeah! No problem" The boy nervously answered, then he looked at Nino.
His friend was smiling, because he knew how agitated Adrien was at the idea of having Marinette in his house.
_
_
_
"Thanks again for letting me practice at your place, Adrien. My father wouldn't have been happy to have unexpected guests. . ." Marinette muttered.
They were walking up the stairs of the building, to get to Adrien's appartament.
"Don't worry about that" he reassured her "I'm glad we're in the same team".
"Me too" Marinette's warming smile made Adrien's legs tremble.
That was the perfect chance for Adrien to get to know Marinette a little better.
The boy knocked on the door of the appartament and his mom went to open.
"Welcome back -Oh!" Emily was surprised to find Adrien together with a beautiful girl.
"Mom, this is Marinette Agreste-Cheng. My classmate" Adrien introduced her and Marinette made a little bow to salute the lady.
"Nice to meet you, Miss Dupain" .
"Please, call me Emily" The woman kindly said.
Marinette thought that Emily was very pretty and that Adrien looked a lot like her.
"Would you like to join us for lunch, Marinette?" Emily asked.
"I don't want to bother you. . ." Marinette mumbled.
"Don't even think about that! It would be my pleasure, really" Emily insisted.
Marinette agreed to have lunch with Adrien's family.
When Mr Dupain returned home, the boy explained to his parents about the tournament, so that they wouldn't get the wrong idea.
"I'm glad that your passion for videogames is giving its results, Adrien. We were starting to feel a little worried about it" Tom said with Emily agreeting with him.
"We always try to support Adrien with his interests, but we thought it wasn't a good thing for him to spend all that time in his room, alone, stearing at a screen" Tom confessed.
"Just to work better on my skills!" Adrien swore to Marinette.
His parents were already starting to embarass him.
"It's also nice to see that our boy made friends with a beautiful girl like you, Marinette" Emily said.
"Mom!" Adrien squealed.
"What's wrong, dear?" Emily wondered.