Shy - Sammy & Lane

Description: Sammy is a very shy boy. He only talks to close friends and family, and when forced to talk to someone else he stutters and speaks very quietly. He has had a crush on this boy since middle school, though. For years he has tried to find the courage to talk to him. One day he did! Sort of. Lane is a chill guy, he can talk to anyone easily but he has a fairly small group of friends. He is very surprised when one day, the shy boy beside him passes him a note in the middle of class. (around 2000 words)

Lane's POV

I was zoning out, listening to Mr. Tate drone on and on about World War Two, when a post-it note was placed on my desk.

I glanced over, my eyes kind of wide, at the boy beside me.

He was looking up at the teacher, but I could tell he wasn't paying attention. His leg was bouncing up and down and his eyes were wandering a little. It was clear he was anxious. Sammy was a super quiet guy, he only ever talked to people he was close to. I was super surprised.

I grabbed the post-it and unfolded it.

I have wanted to talk to you for a long time but I'm too shy. Can we talk like this for a while? -S

I smiled.

How was he so cute? All he did was write a note on a post-it but he was adorable.

I grabbed my pen and wrote under his writing before passing it back to him.

Sure :)

I watched out of the corner of my eye as he read it -- I didn't want him to feel pressured that I was watching him -- and saw as his eyes widened as he read my reply. He looked so excited but tried to hide it.

How was he so adorable?

**

What's your favorite show?

I smiled a little as I watched him fill up a whole post-it note about his favorite show. I watched out of the corner of my eye but I could clearly see his excited smile.

When he passed it to me I smiled while reading what he passionately wrote about a show called The Untamed. We were asking each other random questions and I was glad I asked him that one -- he was so cute when he was excited. He asked me at the bottom what my favorite show was.

I don't really have one but maybe I'll check that show out

He smiled widely as he read my reply, but quickly covered his mouth with his hands and took a second to get calm.

He was really shy but as we wrote notes to each other I could see his personality come out and I really wanted to actually talk to him. But I was okay waiting for when he was ready -- I didn't want to scare him away or make him anxious.

He passed another post-it to my desk.

I like talking to you

I smiled.

I like talking to you too

**

You look cute today

His face went red as he read the post-it that I left on his desk for him to see when he sat down.

I had seen him in the halls earlier in the day and he was wearing a new or rarely worn hoodie for a band that was baggy on him. It made him look tiny and absolutely adorable... I had to tell him.

Thank you

He was smiling and his cheeks were pink for the rest of the hour -- it honestly gave me butterflies seeing him like that because of something I said.