Messages on Our Skin - Aaron & Xavier

This story is based off of the soulmate prompt where whatever your soulmate writes or draws on their skin, appears on your own skin. Around 3900 words.

Aaron's POV

I had seen their writing on my skin but that was the first time it was directed at me.

we should tell each other our names

I watched as they wrote i'm and I quickly wrote, wait

When a name didn't appear on my skin, I wrote, where's the fun in just telling each other?

can i at least tell you if i'm a boy or a girl?

I thought for a minute about the question. It would have made things easier if and when I talked about my soulmate to my friends.

ok

i'm a boy. u?

we're not texting, spell the whole word

The "u" was crossed out and he replaced it with the full word.

will you answer?

maybe. do you care if i am a boy or a girl?

why would i?

My heart sped up as I read his reply. That was such a relief. Lots of kids in my school threw fits when they found out their soulmates were the same sex. Some were even upset they weren't. I was glad he didn't care.

you speak English, do you live in the US? I wrote, ignoring his question asking what gender I was.

yep, can i say the state?

sure

wisconsin

me too hey we gotta erase this writing if we wanna keep talking

how about i give you my #?

I didn't respond, I just went to my bathroom and washed my writing off of my arm. Shortly after, his writing disappeared except for one new word.

Meany

**

"Have you told him anything about yourself yet?" Sam asked me.

I blushed, "Not really..."

She rolled her eyes, "Tell me he at least knows you're a boy."

"No... but I asked him and he said he doesn't care if I'm a boy or girl."

She smiled and smacked me lightly, "Why are you so scared, man?"

"Um..." I started.

I didn't really know why. I just was. I was scared if he knew stuff about me... or met me... he'd leave and stop talking to me.

Her expression softened and she set her hand on my shoulder, "You're worried he won't like you?"

I gave her a small smile. She knew me so well.

"You're an amazing guy, Aaron. There's no way he won't fall head over heels for you once he gets to know you. Once he sees you! You're handsome as hell!"

"Thanks, Sam."

She smiled, "Of course!" 

We continued to eat lunch in silence. Once we were done we just talked about random stuff, waiting for the bell to ring and we had to go back to class.

"Oh," Sam said, perking up a little, "do you know his name? You never say it."

I shook my head, "He was gonna tell me but I asked him what the fun of that was."