Necklaces - Ronnie & Miller

Description: Everyone is born with a necklace of a unique design. Well, almost unique. Like best friend necklaces, there is a second one that completes the first. And together they are one unique necklace. Whoever has the necklace that matches yours perfectly is your soulmate, the one you are meant to be with. When you begin to get closer to your soulmate, both necklaces start to get warmer. Like one big game of hot and cold, you can use that to find your soulmate. Two boys, Ronnie and Miller, seem to be opposites, but somehow they are more similar than they appear. Miller always hides his necklace in his shirt because he doesn't want his soulmate to get close to him and see him. He's scared of rejection and heartbreak. Ronnie keeps his necklace on the outside of his clothes at all times because he is excited to meet his soulmate. He knows as soon as he sees who it is, he will be in awe. As I said, they seem to be the opposite, but in fact, they have many things in common. Most of their interests are the same including art and they feel a deep connection to one another. (Around 5200 words)

Miller's POV

Yet another day of hiding from "the one I was meant to be with". As my mom says. She sees how every day I hide my necklace and she always scolds me. I try to tell her I'm just protecting myself but she "coincidentally" doesn't hear me when I start to talk about it. So I have to keep it out at home, and as soon as I walk out of the door I hide it in my shirt again. I wish I could just take the damn thing off, but it doesn't work like that. It never comes off. Not even after you die or if your "soulmate" rejects you. It's either a happy or depressing memory. For me, it feels like a depressing one.

Today I forgot to keep my necklace out so as I started to head for the door, my mom shouted, "Miller! What have I said about your necklace?"

I groaned and walked back to the kitchen where my mom was holding my baby sister and cooking scrambled eggs.

"What have I said, young man?"

I internally rolled my eyes and took the necklace out from inside my shirt. "This is what connects me with the person I am meant to be with. And hiding it is inadvertently rejecting my soulmate. I know."

"So why do you keep doing it?"

"You never listen when I try to explain so what's the point? I have to go to school."

She sighed, "I'm just trying to do what's best for you, Mill."

"I know."

"Okay, go. But keep that necklace out!"

"Okay, okay!" I shouted as I walked out the door.

As soon as the door closed behind me I put my necklace back inside my shirt.

My reasoning that my loving mother chooses to not listen to is to protect myself. In my family, a lot of people have been rejected by soulmates. So they've had to settle for others who didn't have a soulmate. It's like a curse. The only people in my family that have been with their soulmates are my parents and great-great-grandparents. That I'm aware of. So I hide my necklace so maybe I'll never find my soulmate and I'll never experience the heartbreak. It's bad logic but it protects myself. The scary thing is though, I feel my necklace getting warmer at least twice a day. In homeroom and my fifth hour class, which is art. And sometimes in the halls, it gets very warm because it's so crowded so if we pass each other we get very close. It makes me get this funny feeling every time and I don't know if I like it. I don't think I do.

"Hey, Miller!"

I looked up and noticed I somehow walked all the way to school without realizing it. I was walking up to my one and only friend, Ryan.