Kitten - Avery & Neko

Description: Neko is your average teenage boy with slight insecurities. He likes to go for runs, likes to eat a lot, goes to the gym occasionally so he doesn't gain weight from how much he eats. And he has great friends. The thing you have probably figured out about him already is his name. Neko. A Neko is, according to Google, "the Japanese word for cat. It can refer to actual cats or to characters in anime or manga that have catlike features." Neko is not a Neko though. His parents just named him that seventeen years ago. Knowing it was Japanese for 'cat', but not knowing what nekos in animes were. So, as you can imagine, Neko has gotten teased quite a bit in middle school and high school. There was a time he wished he could change his name, but he has come to terms with it and realized that it's not a bad name at all. Neko's best friend Avery helped him out a lot. Avery has been Neko's confidence booster ever since they became friends in seventh grade. Now, in twelfth grade, Avery is still in love with Neko's name. And maybe a bit more. (Around 4400 words.)

Avery:

Neko:

Neko's POV

Neko's POV

I rolled my eyes as I passed a certain group of idiotic boys that were meowing at me. They do that every day. I mean, the least they can do is come up with new material.

As I was walking, I smiled and waved when I saw my friends across the hallway. They smiled and waved back to me.

"Hey, guys! How were your weekends?" I greeted them when I got up to them.

Shaun shrugged, "Same as every weekend. I tried to get out of the house but I couldn't so I spent the weekend with my mom, bratty little sister, and drunk dad."

I gave him a pat on the shoulder, "Sorry about that. You know you're more than welcome to come over to my house."

"And mine," Laura spoke up.

"Mine too," Avery said cheerily.

Shaun smiled, "Thanks, guys. So how were your weekends?"

Laura squealed, "I went on a date with this cute guy I met at the mall last week. And it. Was. Amazing! He is so sweet and cute! O. M. G!"