15. Tension

Inora returned to Konoha after her reunion with the Uchiha. She went to the Hokage's office to submit her mission report along with the scroll she retrieved.

"You are back early." The Hokage said. "Following their trail wasnt so difficult for me. Isnt that why you sent me?" She asked. "Yes that is right. You can take a couple days off. I will let you know if you have any mission" he stated.

She bowed and was about to leave when she said "I met Itachi." The Hokage looked at her dumbfounded.
"I met Itachi Uchiha." She repeated.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Nothing much. We just crossed paths. Dont worry he didnt tell me anything if thats what you are wondering. He just said that he had been better."

The Hokage took in her words. He stayed silent.

"He was supposed to be a shinobi celebrated among the greatest ranks of Konoha. He deserved better. That is all I wanted to tell. I will take my leave Lord Hokage." She left without turning back.

~

"You saw Orochimaru? Really?" The Sannin asked in disbelief. "Yeah I saw him when I was coming back from the mission. He was with a boy who was wearing glasses. They were headed towards north. I wasnt able to follow them any further." Inora lied through her teeth. She really wanted to tell Jiraiya the fact that she saw Orochimaru but she didnt want to tell anyone about Itachi.

"I should check it out before the trail goes cold" the sannin said. "Do you really think you can bring him back?" She asked hesitantly.

"No. I dont think so. But I just want to try one last time before giving up."

~

It has been a few weeks since that day and she hasnt heard anything from Itachi. She decided to sneak inside the Anbu documents storage unit.

She was successful in her infiltration. She had a small hand torch and went throught boxes of scrolls to find anything related to the Uchiha or the massacre.

She had been there for an hour but she found nothing other than old Uchiha history. Suddenly something caught her eye.

"How come I have missed this? Ofcourse the Uchiha leaf police headquarters was switched to the outskirts of the village after the Nine tails attack but why?" She whispered to herself. She found a box labelled 'Surveillance of the Uchiha". She went through the scrolls and couldnt believe her eyes.

They were weekly reports on what was going on in the Uchiha compound. "Why the heck would the Uchiha be put under surveillance by the Anbu? How long has this been going on?" She started searching for more details. But she accidentaly tripped over a box. "Shit" she heard the guards heading towards her direction. She immediately put everything back in place and teleported outside. She stood a little far away from the Storage unit gritting her teeth. Why was the Anbu spying on the Uchiha? She was confused. Did the village not trust the Uchiha clan? She had so many questions but no answers. She decided to call it a day and teleported back to her apartment.

~
Timeskip.

It has been a year since she first saw Itachi. They have met like 3 times in the past year. They exchanged letters a few times through her toad Roda and met each other whenever both of them were free(3 times so far). Not even once did the Redhead ask any questions about the massacre to the Uchiha. She was aware that he wasnt ready to share it with her. She made it clear to him that she will always be there for him. So he will talk to her when he is ready. Atleast that is what she believed.

Whenever they met there was always some sort of weird tension between them. Both of them couldnt understand what is was so they just shrugged it off. It has been 4 months since their last meeting and they finally decided to meet.

Inora was waiting for Itachi on their secret meeting spot which had a great view of the sunset and was completely hidden and secluded from anyone other than Inora and Itachi. She made some dumplings and riceballs for him. He finally came. "Took you long enough idiot." She snickered.

"This tastes delicious. Did you really make it yourself? This tastes too good to be made by you" the Uchiha casually said munching on his dumplings. "How dare you? If you are going to insult my cooking just fuck off." She tried to take away the dumplings from him.

"Hey is that a red crow?" He asked suddenly.
"What?Where?" She turned around to find nothing. Itachi started laughing "I cant believe you actually fell for that a second time." She couldnt stop the butterflies swarming in her stomach. Itachi was laughing and he looked absolutely breath taking.

Inora chuckled "You idiot dumpling thief!" she launched at him attempting to grab her dumplings but he dodged it effectively. They were goofing around like the old days. Times like this made them escape reality for a while so they made sure to enjoy it to the fullest.

Suddenly Inora tripped over a small rock and both of them fell with Itachi on top of her. Both of them could feel each others breath on their faces. Nobody dared to break eye contact. Inora was aware that Itachi has grown into a very attractive male but she never pondered much into that. Itachi would be lying through his teeth if he said Inora wasnt beautiful. Suddenly it all made sense. That weird tension, they were kids 5 years ago but now they were 16 year old hormonal teenagers and both of them were attractive as hell.

She saw Itachi's eyes move from her eyes to her lips. Her breath was caught in her throat. She couldnt stop her eyes from moving to his lips. She wondered how it would feel to kiss him. 'Shit. What the hell am I thinking'. She suddenly felt Itachi lean closer.

Itachi's body was definitely not listening to his commands. Being this close to her made him dizzy. Her lips looked so kissable. He leaned closer and saw that she wasnt make any effort to push him away. 'This isnt good' his brain warned him. Before he could collect his thoughts he leaned in and captured her lips with his.

The kiss was soft and gentle. It was the first kiss for both of them. They pretty much had no idea what they were doing. She only knew certain basic stuff because of hanging out with 2 perverts named Jiraiya and Kakashi. Itachi has heard Hidan brag about the women he had. Even Kisame used to get laid once in a while. But the kiss felt nice. They both stopped before their thoughts could get any worse.

Both of them sat there awkwardly not knowing what to say. Itachi was someone who always had self control so this scared him. He really didnt want to lose her because of a kiss.

"I am sorry" he whispered. "Dont be. It was mutual so its not your fault." She said quietly. They didnt want to make it any more awkward so they agreed to pretend like nothing happened.