19. Attack on the Leaf

Inora was assigned a mission to infiltrate the Hidden Steam village. The leaf recieved information that an S rank criminal was hiding there. She was instructed to lead a 4 man squad for this assasination mission. Assassination missions are definitely not her favourite but she got used to it. It would atleast take a month to complete the mission. She wasnt entirely sure if she would be back to see the chunin exams.

Inora went to the Anbu HQ to stock her weapon and medical supplies. She was busy stuffing kunais, shurikens, paper bombs, smoke bombs and some food pills into her pouch when she saw someone.
"Hey Captain Hayate. It has been a while. How are you doing?" She asked the man who entered the supplies room. Hayate Gekko was her captain when she first entered Anbu. He taught her many things regarding the work done in Anbu. He was a man for whom she had a great amount of respect.

"Inora! Yeah its been a while. I am doing fine. How about you Crimson Flash?" He asked smiling. "I am doing great captain. You sure seemed to be in a lot of stress. Are you okay?" She asked concerned. "I am fine Inora , just a little sleepy. I have been quite busy with the preparations for the chunin exams" he said tiredly. "Chunin exams?" She asked curiously. "Yeah. I am the proctor for the final exam." He said and started to cough badly.

"Captain! Are you okay?" She immediately went near him and sent her chakra through out his body to check what was wrong. "It is getting worse captain. Are you properly taking the medications I prescribed?" She asked worried. "I have been following them but I was busy for the last few days." He said his coughing got a little better. "That is not an excuse captain. You have got a girlfriend who is worried sick about you. Take care of yourself atleast for Yugao's sake." She adviced her captain.

"Speaking of Yugao, when do you plan on marrying her captain?" She asked teasingly. Hayate chuckled "Now that you asked, I do plan on proposing her soon." He replied shyly. "What? For real? That is amazing. All the best captain. Dont worry my lips are sealed." She said happily. "I should get going captain. See you later." She bowed and left.

~

A month later.

Inora and her squad were returning to the village from their mission. They were almost near the village when she felt that something was wrong. She scanned the area and sensed Naruto , Sasuke and Sakura's chakra along with another chakra that gave her chills. "Something is not right. You keep moving forward, I will catch up to you." she instructed her squad.

She ran towards the direction of Naruto's chakra and saw him on the ground with another boy who had brownish red hair. She immediately rushed towards Naruto. "Naruto! Are you okay?" She saw him bleeding from his head and immediately started healing him. She saw the other one was pretty badly hurt too. "Did you guys fight out here?" She asked and continued to heal both of them. She saw Sasuke coming and he was covered in black spots all over his body. "What the hell is happening here Sasuke?" She asked.

"The village was attacked by Orochimaru and the Sand. Naruto, Sakura is safe." He said. She was shocked and angry. Was this boy a sand shinobi?

She felt another 2 chakra heading towards their direction. She immediately got alert. "Why are you healing me? I am an enemy." The boy said weakly. And the other 2 joined him. It was a blonde girl and a weird looking guy with paint on his face. They were just kids. "Is he your friend?" She asked the 2 new faces. "He is our brother." The blonde replied. "Take him before others come here. He is fine, I healed his injuries. He is just a little drained. Few days of rest should be enough" she said them. They all looked shocked. Naruto chuckled "This is one of my friends I told you about Gaara." He mumbled. And the 3 sand shinobi thanked her and took leave.

"Sasuke. Why does your chakra feel weird?" Inora asked the boy covered in black markings. "I...." he fell on knees. He looked like he was in so much pain and he passed out. She was about to teleport to the village with both of them when she remembered Sakura. She saw Sakura passed out not so far away and Pakkun was near her.

Pakkun explained Inora what happened while she was checking on Sakura. "That damn Orochimaru" Inora gritted her teeth. All 3 of them seemed to be fine just some minor injuries and exhaustion. She teleported back to the village with the three of them.

~

All of them were wearing black clothes attending the Hokage's funeral. It reminded her of her parents death and her heart felt heavy. Lord Hiruzen was someone who was always there for her ever since her parents death. She felt really sad knowing he gave his life to protect the village from his own student.

All the civilians were safe but shinobis lost their lives including the third Hokage. She couldnt believe that captain Hayate was dead even before the attack. This was the main reason she wanted to become a shinobi so she could protect those she cherished. She was extremely upset that she wasnt there in the village when this happened.

She was furious when Kakashi said that Orochimaru placed a curse mark on Sasuke. She made sure to place another seal on the curse mark additional to the one Kakashi placed on Sasuke. Naruto was fine. She was shocked to hear that he learned to use the nine tails chakra and the summoning jutsu. She was thankful for Jiraiya.

~

She stood there looking at her captain's name engraved on the stone. "I'm sorry I wasnt there Captain Hayate." She said quietly. "Its not your fault Inora." She heard Yugao. As soon as they locked eyes Yugao busted out crying. Inora immediately hugged her. "They killed him Inora. I couldnt do anything." She cried. Inora didnt say anything. She knew that no words would comfort her so she let her cry as much as she wants to.

She was really angry to know that the sand shinobi dared to break their alliance but they claimed that it was all Orchimaru's doing. Suna also lost its Kazekage so she couldnt really blame them.

And also Konoha needed a Hokage and she really hoped it would be old man Jiraiya.