Prologue

[ Harrenhal • The Great Council]

The eldest velaryon, Rhaelle, stood in the crowd with her black curly hair in an updo wearing a silver gown standing next to her cousin, Daemon, as they watched their great-grandsire. As Rhaelle listened to the king she couldn't help eyeing her parents, Corlys Velaryon and Rhaenys Targaryen, as they stood by the queen side she couldn't help but focus mostly on her mother knowing this could be the day of peace or war.

She caught her mother's eyes making the princess wink at her causing a small smile to form on her lips, the sounds of drums fill the room causing everyone to turn their head to the double doors as two man carried in a box that contained the name of the future king or queen of westeros, caused Rhaelle to say a silent prayer as they brought the chest to Jaehaerys. The whole room fall silent when the king held the parchment between his fingers the deafening silence made Rhaelle grab hold of whoever was next to her hand as she looked between her mother and the king, the name he announced to the lords and ladies of the seven kingdoms made rhaelle's shoulders drop as the crowd around her cheered for their future king in thunderous applauses and exulting joy.

The look of disappointment was evident in her parents and great-grandmother's eyes as they stood up there looking out to the crowd with stone faces, Rhaelle caught her mother's eyes again giving her a compassionate smile making her mother return a small half-smile before looking towards her husband. The small sigh slipped from rhaella's lips before she heard someone clear their throat making her turn and then look up at daemon, he stared at her with a blank look before glancing down she followed his gaze to see her hand holding his wrist making her snatched it away in embarrassment.

She swallowed thickly and couldn't believe she was holding his wrist the whole time she didn't say a word as she stepped away from him quickly and moved through the crowd to get to her parents, she was being shoved and pushed in different directions making it hard for her. She somehow ended up getting further from her parents, when she finally got out of the crowd, she saw a clear view of her parent but before she can walk over she heard her name being called making her turn to see Aemma coming towards her. She put on her a polite smile as she meets the future queen halfway.

"Congratulations, your highness." She pulled her dress as she curtsy and bowed her head.

"Thank you, rhaelle." Aemma said placing her hand on her swollen stomach looking down at the young girl, rhaelle looked up at her cousin before she put her hand behind.

"But, you do not need to be so formal, cousin." Aemma said.

"Oh, but I must if I don't then it will look like I am being rude and the last thing I want is for a mushroom to give me a ludicrous nickname for the people of Westeros to hurl in my face or behind my back." Rhaelle jest making viserys who joined his wife chuckled together, the sound of her name being called caused her to turn to see her father beckoning her over.

"It seems I must be going, viserys congratulations." Rhaelle stepped back bowing before she bumped into somebody causing her to glance up to see daemon looking down at her.

"Watch where you're going." Rhaelle, embarrassed and scared yet again, didn't say anything as walked away to her parents.

Rhaelle finally reached her parents, following them out with the rest of the lords and ladies, while her father fell behind talking to lord Baratheon; it gave her some time to talk to her mother before they parted ways.

"Are you alright, mother?" Her mother's head turned to her before nodding.

"Yes, I'm actually quite relieved." Rhaelle looked quite surprised by her mother's words.

"Really?" Rhaenys nodded again.

"I trust I could have been a good queen, but I fear that our world isn't ready for that yet." Rhaelle nodded her head knowing the words she spoke were true, the men in Westeros would rather set flames to this world before having a woman as their queen and leader.