Chapter 23.

Eddie's P.O.V

The closer I get to (Y/n)'s door, the more nervous I get. I'm only inches away, and I'm getting cold feet. This was a bad idea. I can turn away right now and just have her ignore me, and I can move on with my life. But I'm already in front of her door, and my hand turns into a fist to knock on the door.

Knock. Knock.

The door slowly opens, and I see an older woman with graying hair and the same colored eyes as (Y/n) looking back at me. At first, I thought she was about to scream, so I smiled and gave her a little wave. "Hi, sorry to bother you. I'm Eddie Munson. I'm a friend of your daughters." At least I'm pretty sure it is (Y/n)'s mom; they look alike.

The door opened a little more than it was; this time, (Y/n)'s mom didn't look so frightened. She has no idea who I am, yet she opened the door for me anyway. Since I mentioned I'm a friend of (Y/n)'s; she didn't seem to mind. That's the furthest from the truth, though, (Y/n) and I are not friends, and I don't know if we ever could be.

"I'm sorry to bother you all. I was just hoping to see (Y/n). Is she home?" I gave (Y/n)'s mother a toothy grin, and hopefully, she didn't slam the door in my face. Instead of doing that, (Y/n)'s mom smiled back at me.

"It's no bother at all; I'm (your mom's name); it's nice to meet you." She put her hand out for me to shake. My hands were shaking and were a little sweaty, but I didn't think she would notice. "I'll go get her now; I'll be right back." She smiled again and shut the door, and I heard her calling for (Y/n). I heard footsteps approach the door, and then she was standing right in front of me.

"Hey." I gave (Y/n) a wave, and instantly she slammed the door in my face. "Please, (Y/n), I want to talk to you." I knocked on the door again, and instead of (Y/n) opening the door, it was Max. "Red! What are you doing here?"

Max walked outside and shut the door behind her, and crossed her arms. "What are you doing here? Huh?" she smiled slyly at me. I arched my brow, pretending not to know what she was implying.

"Nothing. I mean, I'm here because I have to talk to (Y/n). It's important." I didn't need Max to know anything, but I feel she already does. Dustin did mention that Max brought (Y/n) home last night, but honestly, I didn't think she would've stuck around. Or maybe she just got here? I did notice her bike out here.

"Don't worry about her; she's fine," Max said sternly.

"Come on, Max." I didn't want to sound like a petulant child not getting their way, but that's exactly how I sound right now, and I know Max finds it amusing.

"Why is it so important?"

"Because there's something I need to tell her."

"What is that exactly?" Max arched her brow. Yeah, she definitely knew what I was here for.

"Dammit, Max, can I please just see (Y/n)? I wanted to apologize to her." I was getting aggravated, but I tried not to show it. It wasn't Max's fault, but it was none of her business.

Max sighed and relaxed her arms against her side. "She doesn't want to see you right now, Eddie. Can you just leave her alone for a while, please?"

"Why? Is she really that upset?" Did I actually hurt (Y/n)'s feelings that bad? Where she wants nothing to do with me whatsoever?

"What do you think? And honestly, she's not being irrational about her feelings. Her feelings were hurt, yes, because of what you said to her. You mean a lot to (Y/n) Eddie, and you don't seem to give a shit." Her words are cutting me deep. I feel like such an asshole. "(Y/n) isn't bad. Maybe if you gave her a chance and got to know her better, then you'd realize it for yourself. Instead of assuming she's weird or whatever."

"You're right. Okay. When I met her, I thought she was weird because she was talking to herself, but then she later explained she did that because she was nervous about being near me, and I guess she was pretending to introduce herself to me or whatever." Now that I think about it, it was cute and a little quirky, but she wasn't a bad person. (Y/n) is a great girl, and I really care about her.

"So, you just assumed?" Max crossed her arms again.

"Yes, I assumed." Which is something I shouldn't have done because people do it to me as well. Everyone just assumes I'm a freak and call me weird and says that I'm possessed or whatever else they say about me.

"Okay," she nodded. "Well, it was nice of you to drop by. Talk to you later." Max turned for the door, and before I could say another word, she shut the door in my face.

"Seriously?" I say to myself. I turned back around to head back to my van. When I got to the driver's side of my van, I looked over to the window of (Y/n)'s house, and I noticed a figure watching me. It was (Y/n), I gave her a small wave, and she closed the curtain. "Maybe there's still hope." I smile to myself. I start the engine and head back home.