Chapter 54.

Looks like the cat is out of the bag.

I'm pregnant.

I'm not exactly sure how far along I am. But I've been feeling nauseous for about a week now and I thought nothing of it at first. Then I realized I hadn't gotten my period.

I went to the pharmacy and picked up a pregnancy test. I asked Eddie to take me, and I told him I just needed some pads for my period, the period I didn't get. So yes, I lied to Eddie.

I wanted to keep it a secret for just a little while longer until I went to the Doctor's. But of course, shit just hit the fan. The police showed up at Eddie's house accusing him of breaking into someone's house. Officer Callahan questioned me and told me that I was lying.

"You really think I'm going to believe you. If he's your boyfriend then you know he's a troublemaker."

Eddie rushed in to save me from the asshole. He was pissed at how Callahan was talking to me.

I proved that he was home the whole time by showing them my pregnancy test, which is basically a cup thing that is filled with liquid and if it turns a bluish color then that means I am pregnant.

What exactly will that prove? I'm not sure, but hopefully something. I told them I was on the phone with the doctor's office and Eddie walked in as I was on the phone with them.

"Hey, baby." He said, wrapping his arm around my waist, and kissing me.

"Hey, Eddie," I said to him. And I know that the person I was talking to on the phone heard me. Again, what does that prove? I don't know.

Once the officers left, Eddie and I were alone.

I spoke up trying to break the awkward silence.

"I'm sorry." I blurted as he was saying "How did this happen?"

"Wait, what did you say?" Eddie asked, furrowing his brow.

"I said I'm sorry," I repeated.

"Why are you sorry?"

"Because I know that we didn't plan on this to happen already. We have so much ahead of us, just you and me."

"Do you think I'm upset?" He asked softly.

"No, I don't know."

"I'm not upset about that, I just don't know how it happened?"

"I think I know what happened..."

"What was it?" He looked genuinely apprehensive.

"I think it was about two weeks ago when we were having sex. You had the condom on, but we heard a little popping noise." I winced.

Eddie's Adam's apple bobbed up and down.

"And we didn't think anything of it."

"Shit." He said quietly, covering his face with his hands.

"Eddie, we can always ab-"

"No, no, please don't say it."

"Eddie, I don't know what to do. You even said we didn't plan on having kids any time soon. And here I am, pregnant. I don't even know how far along I am exactly. Maybe at least 4 weeks?"

This was all just so overwhelming.

"We will figure it out, I promise." Eddie scooted closer to me. "I know we can do this. I have faith in us."

"It's not that, I just don't know if I'm even ready to be a mother."

"I may not be ready to be a father, but it's just something we're going have to figure out together." He wrapped his arms around me and held me tight.

"I'm scared," I whispered.

"Me too, but we will get through it. I promise." He said kissing me on the cheek.

Later on that day, we didn't talk about it. Even when his uncle came home from work we didn't even tell him. Instead, the two of them talked about how the cops were here questioning Eddie. We didn't talk about how I proved it wasn't Eddie. It was just something we kept to ourselves.

"Anyway, I don't know who the hell this guy is, and we may never know," Eddie said to Wayne.

"As long as you're innocent that's all that matters," Wayne said, chugging down a beer.

"I know, but it doesn't make sense to me. Whoever this was wanted me to get into trouble."

"Let's just be thankful that the cops aren't questioning you anymore," Wayne said as he got up to get another beer.

"Yeah."

"Are you guys excited for graduation?" Wayne asked, finally changing the subject.

"I'm super excited," I said beaming.

"That's great." Wayne smiled. "What about you Eddie?"

"Yeah I'm excited, I'm graduating." He laughed, but then he stopped and looked over at me, his eyes wandered to my stomach. It looked as if all the color from Eddie's face drained.

"What's wrong with you? It's like you just seen a ghost." Wayne said.

"What?" Eddie looked over at Wayne. "Oh, no, I'm good. Just realized I'm going to need a job soon."

"I've been telling you that. You think singing is going to make you a steady paycheck you're mistaken."

"I know Wayne," Eddie walked over to the fridge and grabbed a beer.

"You can come work with me, we're always looking for new hires."

"Yeah, maybe I will," Eddie said chugging down his beer.

"Damn it Eddie, what the hell is going on with you? You seem on edge about something." Wayne looked over at me, and I just shrugged.

"I'm fine."

"Bullshit you're fine, there's something wrong. If it's about the cops coming here, don't worry about it."

If only that was the reason, but I know it's because I'm pregnant.

Wayne went to bed and it was just me and Eddie. We lay in bed, it was a quiet night. You could hear the crickets outside.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Eddie asked.

"Not really."

"Okay."

Silence.

I tried to fall asleep, but I couldn't. I felt Eddie's arm around me and I could tell he was asleep just by the way he was spazzing around in his sleep.

Sleep didn't come easy to me.