Chapter 40

Eddie's P.O.V

The two of us approached my van. I helped her get into the passenger side. The ride to my place was quiet like it was earlier this morning. The reason it was so quiet was that I had a lot on my mind.

"Eddie." I look over at (Y/n), she looks worried.

"I'm okay." I lie.

"I know you're not."

"What makes you think that?" I knew she knew something was up, she's very observant.

"You were quiet the ride to school."

"It doesn't mean there's anything wrong babe." I take one hand and place it in hers. I know it won't be enough to convince her.

"Fine, I'm not going to push it out of you. Whenever you want to tell me, then I'll be here to listen."

Thankfully she wasn't going to push it. I will tell her when I feel like it. Right now I want to take her to my place and just spend some time with her. As we drove up my driveway I saw that my Uncle Wayne was home.

"He's home early," I said as I climbed out of the van. I walk over to the passenger side to let (Y/n) out.

"Is he usually home this early?"

"Sometimes." I walked over to my uncle and see if everything was okay.

"There he is..." my uncle said with his arms opened wide.

"Hey there uncle." I looked at him suspiciously. "Is everything all good at the garage?"

"Yeah, everything's good. I got off early today." He came over and hugged me. It was weird because he's never affectionate like this. "And here's the little lady." He let me go of his embrace and walked over to (Y/n) and hugged her.

She didn't find it weird that he was hugging her. "It's good to see you again Mr. Munson."

"Please, call me Wayne."

"Good to see you again Wayne." She smiled.

"I'm sorry that I'm a little dirty, fixing cars can be a dirty job."

"It's okay." She laughed.

This is too weird, my uncle is never like this. So what the hell is going on? I walk over to him and tell (Y/n) to give us a second. I put my arm around my uncle's shoulder and turned around away from her.

"What is going on with you?" I ask trying to whisper looking over at (Y/n) to make sure she doesn't hear.

"Whaddya mean? Nothing is going on with me."

"You're being affectionate." I look at him flabbergasted.

"What? Am I not allowed to hug my nephew and his girl?"

"No." I shook my head, "You never hug people."

"Yes I do, what are you talking about?"

"Wayne, seriously you're scaring me what is going on with you? I'm serious." I look at him sternly.

"Jesus Eddie, I'm fine okay. I'm just in a good mood because my nephew made up with his girlfriend and I heard from your dad this morning, he called from jail."

Hold up, what??

"I'm sorry what did you say? I don't think I heard you correctly." I place a hand behind my ear. "Say that again please."

"Don't be a smartass." He smacked my hand away. "You heard what I said, and I'm serious about you and your girlfriend."

"Jesus Christ Wayne, why didn't you tell me." I wasn't even whispering anymore, I'm shouting and (Y/n) was walking over to me.

"Is everything okay?" She asked placing a hand on my arm.

"Uh, yeah," I didn't look at her, my eyes were still on my uncle.

"Eddie, what's wrong? What happened with your dad?" I glanced over at (Y/n), concern etched on her face.

"My dad called my uncle from jail."

"Oh."

"He says he's doing good," my uncle chimed in.

"And?"

"And they might let him out early."

"Holy shit..." I felt like I was about to pass out or something. I had to sit down on the steps of the trailer. I took a cigarette from the pack I had in my pants pocket. "So... he might be coming home." I tried to light my cigarette but my hands were shaking. "Fuck." I hissed. (Y/n) sat by me took the lighter from my hand and helped light up my cigarette. "Thanks." I took a few puffs.

"I know it's a lot." Uncle Wayne said as he sat on the other step.

"You think," I said after taking another puff of my cigarette. "Jesus."

"It's okay." (Y/n) said taking my free hand in hers.

"I know." I try to smile, she's already worried about me but now she's more worried than earlier. "Everything is great."

"You don't need to lie to me, Eddie. I know that this must be a lot to process."

"I'm fine." I'm trying not to lie.

"Eddie..."

"I am." I take one last puff from my cigarette and stomp it out on the step. "Let's get inside and we can watch some TV." I take (Y/n)'s hand and help her up.

The two of us spent a few hours watching movies together. I watched something that I liked and we watched something she liked, which of course was something girly. We didn't talk about my dad, I didn't want to talk about him. I didn't even want to think about him.

My uncle joined us and he didn't mention my dad again. Thankfully. All three of us just sat there and watched TV.

After another movie, it was time to bring (Y/n) home. She wanted to get ready for Prom at home and I was going to pick her up. I honestly can't wait to see her in her dress. She's shown it to me, and I know it's going to look stunning on her.