Chapter Seventy Eight

My future just went black, pointless, and bleak as Arthur and Lorenzo helped me up to the couch.

Anne is in critical condition.

That kept on replaying in my mind. Seeing my mom in tears as she held the phone. I could feel my heart get heavier as I kept on blaming myself for what had happened.

If only I said no. If only I kept her there with me in our room maybe she wouldn't be in this situation. I felt guilty that I allowed her to be with her brother.

"Charles, it's not your fault." I heard Arthur's voice and as I looked up I saw him standing in front of me crying too. "It's an accident."

"You don't need to blame yourself, Charles. The baby and Anne will be alright." Lorenzo muttered but I know he's hurt too.

"No, you don't understand. I said yes to her when she asked me if she could go. She had doubts and I told her to go." I sobbed as I felt Arthurs's hand on my shoulders.

"It's an accident, Charles." Arthur sobbed as I felt my Mom's hand wrapping around my shoulders as she leaned on me.

"Did they say what hospital? I need to go." I said as stood up, my mind still clouded with everything that was going on.

As Carla told me the hospital's name, I scrambled to the phone and looked for the number of the chalet to ask for another car.

"I'm sorry sir the next car would be available in two hours." The representative told me and I sighed as disbelief succumbed me.

"Could you at least send one!? There has been an emergency! All I ask is a car to go to the hospital to see my wife!" I screamed as Arthur snatched the phone out of my hands.

"Enough!" Arthur screamed at me as he pushed me off as he talked on the phone, pleading with the management to give us a car. He sighed as he slammed the phone back and looked at me. "I know you are hurting, scared, and even mad about everything. But please Charles, stop blaming yourself for something you never did!"

"Anne is my wife. She's everything to me. I'm scared. I'm scared of losing our baby, and I'm absolutely scared of losing her. I'm scared Arthur." I sobbed as I felt hot tears running down my cheeks as my knees weakened from telling them the truth.

"I'm scared of waking up every day not to see her face beside me, I'm scared of going home from work without her welcoming smile." I cried out as I felt my mother's embrace I sobbed there, knees weak from the thoughts that my wife can't do it anymore. " I'm scared of racing without her presence, her voice, and her support."

"We are scared too Charles. We love her too." My mom sobbed as she rubbed her hand on my back to calm me. "We are her family too."

I just sat there on the floor as though after thoughts of Anne and my fond memories flooded my mind. Her brown eyes sparkle every time she smiles, the fine smile lines on her cheeks every time she laughs, her little dance when she eats, her button nose that wiggles each time she smells something bad, her long brown hair that waves perfectly around her beautiful face. There's a chance that I won't see it again.

"You'll see her Charles, she'll be fine. She'll be okay." As I looked up I saw my brothers with their girlfriends in their arms sobbing as they saw me crying my heart out.

There's a knock on the door and Lorenzo opened it and I saw a staff from the chalet.

"Charles, it is for you." I stood up from my seat as I felt my knees still weak from thinking about Anne's situation. I tried to walk to them but Lorenzo stopped me as they were welcomed in.