Professor Bell to the Rescue

Season13x21

"So, Nathan and I... We are becoming a couple. I think? I don't know. But you're my sister, and I wanted to tell you, because I don't want it to come between us... Oh, she's gonna hate me." Mer tells her reflection. Alex and I have been taking turns listen to Mer "perfect" her speech for Maggie when she finally tells Maggie.

"She is not going to hate you." I roll my eyes as I paint the last nail black on my toes.

~~~~~~

"That's a good point. It has taken me a long time to tell you. Attraction is messy. It grabs you when you least expect it. Of course, this isn't what I wanted." After a few minutes we all find ourselves in the kitchen as she continues her speech while she packs the kids lunches, Alex is having an ongoing battle with Ellis, and I am stuffing my face with a delicious bowl of Cocoa Pebbles.

"We got to go." Alex picks up Ellis grabs my bowl and puts it in the sink.

"Hey." I pout as I clean the milk on my face.

"Okay." Mer nods.

He looks at me and the Mer. "We're gonna be late. Come on." And out to the car we go.

~~~~~~

"And in the end, what really matters is that we care about each other, and that will never change. How's that sound?" She looks at Alex then me.

"Forced." "Bueno." Alex and I say at the same time.

"Well, it sounds forced because I'm a horrible person."

"You could use the plane. Near-death experience... that's a good excuse."

"Lie? Your advice to me is to lie?"

"No, ignore him. You are not a horrible person Mer. You had a chance to meet someone and that someone just so happens to like you. She just needs to take it like a woman. You met and liked him first. Y'all did the nasty before he was even a thought in her mind. Should you have told her sooner of course, but you didn't so we move on. She has every right to get mad. But you had every right to like who you like." I look at her through the rear view mirror.

"That was sweet. Thank you Bell." She gives me a smile.

"That. Or use the plane. Planes have taken a lot from you. When have they ever given you something good?"

"Gave me a hospital. I mean, like Isabella said, it happened before I even knew she liked him, you know? But then it happened again. I just... I don't know. I-I don't even know how it got this far"

"Well, he lost his wife, you lost your husband. Look, if you don't want to lie, just be vague. No details. And again like Bell said, she's an adult. She can take it. Less is more."

"What if she hates me?"

"She's not gonna hate you."

"Kinda." I quickly interjected.

~~~~~~

After 20 post-ops check ins and 6 discharges I was running around looking for Brody. I finally spot her in a viewing gallery. "Brody, why haven't you sent me Mrs. Vonn's latest cardiograph?" She doesn't look at me but her body slightly turns telling me that she heard me and I am so hungry and mad that it annoyed me. "Okay, what is so mesmerizing that you can't do your j... Are those worms?" I quickly hide behind the older woman, even if I know I am nowhere near the worms.