Cheap Thrills

Kid Ritz POV:

I open my eyes, watching as Ven's flutter open.

We breathe for a moment, letting each other go slowly.

Ven smiles at me, walking away and out of the bedroom. I mull around, picking up our things and making the bed before leaving the room.

I hear Ven helping Rollie in the kitchen as I sit across from Fred at the dining table, who's carefully looking at the gun.

Fred: "Hey."

Kid Ritz: "Hey. You taking it apart?"

Fred: "I just want to gauge how many bullets are left. I've never handled a gun before, so I'm kind of left to fumble around."

Kid Ritz: "If you want, I can take a look. Dad always had a heater on him and showed me how his worked."

Fred nods, slowly sliding it toward me. I hold the backstrap as I take out the magazine. I see there are two bullets left, indexing the magazine back into the gun.

Fred: "Dude, you really know how to handle that."

Kid Ritz: "I guess so. Dad often did target practice, and I guess I never forgot the basics."

Fred nods as I hand him back the gun. I see him put it in his pocket, a weird feeling passing me as I watch him. It feels wrong for such a silly, go-lucky kid to be in charge of a deadly weapon.

It's just not something I'd have ever imagined Fred doing. But I guess, in times like these, even the funniest have to grow serious.

Fred and I sit at the table tiredly as Ven and Rollie come out, the two looking proud of the soup and bread they made.

Another strange feeling washes over me as Ven hands me silverware, a glass of water, and food.

It almost feels like... we're a married couple, and he's taking care of me by feeding me.

He kisses my cheek before grabbing his food and sitting next to me. Rollie does the same thing, the whole interaction going by quickly.

Fred: "Thank you guys. We really appreciate it."

Kid Ritz: "Yes, thank you! It looks amazing."

Rollie: "Ven made the bread. I did the soup."

Ven: "We're total chefs. New career change if I can't perform anymore."

Rollie: "Oh my gosh, same. We can have our own cooking show."

Ven: "Suburban moms would love us."

The two laugh, making the mood of the dinner light. I finish my food, not even having to say anything, as Ven takes my dishes for me to the kitchen.

I can't explain the feeling I have knowing he's ok with taking care of me, as if I was his husband. It makes me want to do something nice for him.

I go into the kitchen, seeing him wash the dishes.

Kid Ritz: "Hey, V."

Ven: "Hi!"

Kid Ritz: "Why don't I finish these up, and you go relax in the room. I don't want you to overwork yourself before we go out."

Ven smiles, looking happy at the offer.

Ven: "Aww, are you sure?"

Kid Ritz: "Yes. You and Rollie did so much by making us dinner and taking care of Fed and me, and I want to do what I can to take some of the load off your shoulders."

Ven smiles wider, pulling me close for a kiss.

Ven: "That's so sweet of you. I'll see you in the room?"