030

Annabelle

Annabelle

MY FEET HAD their own mind as they led me to the park I had grown to love. Usually, it was fairly empty at night but you could still hear the noises of cars as they passed by every once and a while. 

My hands were tucked into my jacket as I crossed the park, moving towards a bench. "Annabelle." I paused at the sound of my name, turning towards the voice.

"Hi, Dad," I greeted with a small smile. Quickly, his arms encircled around me as his hand pressed to the back of my head. 

"I wasn't aware that you'd be there with the Salvatores," Dad said quietly in my ear.

I sucked in a deep breath, smiling as I wrapped my arms around his much larger frame. "Caroline my best friend. I had to help." He pulled away from me, looking deeply into my eyes. "Thank you for helping."

"I merely held up my end of a deal," Dad told me.

"Right," I nodded. "With Elena?"

"I swore to protect her loved ones," Dad explained to me. "Stefan was included in it." 

"Who was that guy? He was a witch, right?" I asked, earning a nod.

"He is. He's one of my acquaintances," Dad informed me. I took a step away from him, moving to sit on the nearby bench as I felt a wave of sleepiness hit me. He sat beside me, allowing me to lean my head against his shoulder. "Tired?"

"Yeah." It was silent for a moment before he spoke again.

"I remember when you were a child. After Kol tired you out, chasing you around and playing hide and seek all day, you would come running to me," Dad began, tucking his hands in his lap as he gazed ahead of us. "I would pull you into my arms and you would lean your head on my shoulder. It didn't matter what time it was, you always fall asleep like that."

"Those were good times," I said, watching the trees move in the breeze. The wind was faint, but enough to cause a leaf to fall down the tree, slowly moving towards the ground. 

"They were. I think about them sometimes," Dad admitted. 

"Do you ever wonder what would have happened if we were never turned?" I asked, tipping my head up to look at his calm face. 

"Sometimes. I just wish you never had to live with that curse."

"Yeah, but then I would have outlived you and that would have just been weird," I said with a small laugh, one that he did not return.

"Yes but then you would not be stuck at fifteen forever. It's far too young," Dad replied and I sighed heavily. 

"I don't mind being a vampire. I mean, yeah, sometimes I wish I wasn't, but I get to spend forever with you and I'm not mad about that. Even if our family is a disaster," I said, reaching up to tug my jacket closer. "I just wish that I wouldn't have had to trigger it. That I just could have been...turned."