A Much Happier Reunion

A summer Scottish rain had kept us all inside today, much to my displeasure. I had begun to enjoy spending my day down by the river or walking through town. It was peaceful up here, the only reminders of war being in the papers or the families that had men off fighting. People in town had been getting to know me as Will's wife, and usually had a kind word to say. But during this dismal rain, I was trapped inside.

Agnes sat in a corner of the parlor, knitting and coughing discreetly into a handkerchief. From what I had gathered the cough had been lingering since last winter, and Agnes was reluctant to see a doctor. Sam had ignored the rain to go to work at the chandlers in Kirkcudbright, Peg was setting out her texts for when her school opened and she could go back to teaching and Samuel was brushing out Rigel while I looked through the mail that had arrived for me.

Sylvie sent her love, and her hopes that Lights would be angling for a posting closer to home after some hints in his latest letters, and any mail from the Southampton house and offices. Welton had started sniffing around for any influence that Campbell may have tried to set up in the business, and sent on Mother's letters. According to her everyone in New York was doing well, and she had come up with a new hobby of making Henry Reichster look like a fool while she covered for Sophie and Morris to meet.

It was the letter at the bottom of the pile that drew my attention, typed but signed in a flowing hand.

Mrs. Murdoch,

I am writing to cordially invite you to a dinner being given to honor the completion of my husband's, Vice Admiral David Beatty, First Battlecruiser Squadron. Given that your husband is a captain, it would only be appropriate for you to join us in this celebration. The dinner will be held August 10th, at the North British Station Hotel. The dress code is formal, although some allowances will be made if you are unable to conform. A note from your husband is included, at his request.

Regards,

-Ethel Beatty

I felt a grin break out as I reached for the small piece of paper that had fluttered out of the envelope, Will's handwriting a familiar comfort.

Ana,

Come as quick as you can, I've got a room for us at the North British Station. I need to see you, wire when you're on the train.

Your Jolly Sailor Bold,

-Will

I must have made some noise of happiness, for Samuel looked up from where he was brushing Rigel. "Good news?"

"Oh yes," I smiled, standing. "Will wants me to come visit him in Edinburgh, Admiral Beatty is having a dinner and Will wants me as his guest." I looked to the hallway, "I'll need to go pack, I want to be on the train as soon as I can."

Peg looked up from her books, "Will ye be comin' back?"

I paused. "I'm not sure, but I will write." I gave all of them a wide grin. "But I need to go pack, Will asked for me to come as quick as I could." Rigel panted on the floor, and I patted my leg to call him. "I'll be taking this monster too."

By the next morning, I was fully packed and ready for the train. Sam would send the empty trunks back down to Southampton, and I promised that I would have some of my food shipped up to them, in crates this time. Agnes and Peg sent me off with a bit of breakfast wrapped in a napkin. While I still felt closer to Peg, Agnes at least hadn't tried to fight with me. Perhaps it was because we were all worried about Will, that we had something in common. Samuel took me to the station, sending both Rigel and I off with a kiss and a hug.

At the first stop the train made, I rushed off quickly to send a wire to Will. The rest of the trip seemed to take longer than it had before, no doubt because I was excited to see Will. My foot bounced, I fidgeted, and Rigel whined and barked the whole way. As soon as the doors were opened, I launched myself out into the station, knowing that a porter would be following shortly with my trunk.